View Full Version : I'm Looking for a Video Tripod - Suggestions?

Jason Dunn
05-13-2005, 03:00 PM
I don't do a lot of video shooting with my Canon GL2, but whenever I do take it out to shoot something, invariably I curse my tripod because it's just not meant for video. The tripod I'm using is a Velbon CX-540 - nothing special, I've had it for years, but it does the job fairly well for photo shoots. The problem with video is that I have a difficult time getting smooth panning motions because the Velbon just wasn't engineered for it. Even when the camera is fully secured, there's too much wobble when I try to pan. So I'm looking for a new tripod, something designed specifically for smooth camera motion. It can't be too big - it should be reasonably portable, and no more than $300 USD. What makes and models should I be looking at?

Lee Yuan Sheng
05-14-2005, 01:26 AM
Man Jason! With that expensive a camera I thought you'd be using a better tripod. Since video isn't my forte, I can't say much, but you should be using a fluid head at this level!

Like camera tripods, there are actually two components, the leg (which we call the tripod) and the head, where the camera is attached and serves as the platform for movement.

At US$300 I think your options will be a bit limited as I don't think you can get a bowl-equipped tripod with a decent fluid head, so you will need to make some compromises on each end. Check out Manfrotto, they normally have some kind of starter kit package that's decently priced and usable. From a glance I think this looks decent:

http://www.manfrotto.com/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=18&itemid=821

B&H sells it for US$309.

that_kid
05-14-2005, 01:51 AM
Lee Yuan Sheng

I've used that exact tripod for two music video shoots with an XL-1 and GL-2 and Jason you should get that one. The panning is soo smooth it is almost a crime not to have one. The first time I used it I knew it was the one, you can basically get another tripod but make sure you get that 501 head. Since it's nicely posted here you should get the whole thing.

Jason Dunn
05-14-2005, 09:43 AM
I know, I know, it's terribly sad - I just kept putting it off over the years...but no more! I have a wedding to shoot in September so I'm ready to get a nice tripod. :-)

JoshB
05-18-2005, 05:19 AM
You could make the DIY $14 Steadicam stabilizer featured in issue 1 of Make Magazine. I haven't had a chance to make one yet, but it looks like a fun (and useful!) project.