View Full Version : No Blu-Ray and HD-DVD Union... Yet

Filip Norrgard
05-12-2005, 06:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/10/toshiba_slams_hd_claims/' target='_blank'>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/10/toshiba_slams_hd_claims/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Claims that moves to unify the two key competing HD video disc formats are progressing to a successful conclusion are "unfounded and erroneous", Toshiba said today. Toshiba is pushing HD DVD. Sony is promoting Blu-ray Disc (BD). Both formats use blue laser light to increase the capacity of a DVD-sized optical disc sufficiently to allow it to hold HD movie content. BD has the edge in capacity - 25GB per layer, to HD DVD's 15GB - but is harder to make and is potentially less resistant to damage. Both camps have won big-name backers from the movie, storage and computing markets."</i><br /><br />I dearly hope that both HD-DVD and Blu-ray will settle down for an unified format so that we won't have to see a reprise of VHS vs. Betamax format wars. ;)

Jonathon Watkins
05-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Well, with the recent news about HD going up to 45Gb in capacity, there really isn't much reason to buy a BR system. Sony's going to notch up another Betamax! :twisted:

Phoenix
05-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Well, with the recent news about HD going up to 45Gb in capacity, there really isn't much reason to buy a BR system. Sony's going to notch up another Betamax! :twisted:

I'm not too sure about that. Toshiba's 45 GB capacity is based on a single-sided triple-layer design. Sony's single-sided dual-layer design has a 50 GB capacity which would push it ahead of Toshiba. If Sony manages to offer a triple-layer design, it'll push the capacity up to 75 GB.

Filip Norrgard
05-13-2005, 06:37 AM
I'm not too sure about that. Toshiba's 45 GB capacity is based on a single-sided triple-layer design. Sony's single-sided dual-layer design has a 50 GB capacity which would push it ahead of Toshiba. If Sony manages to offer a triple-layer design, it'll push the capacity up to 75 GB.

But you are assuming that Sony's design will work flawlessly, especially with that much data packed in so little layers. Not to mention how sensitive that data is to scratches and other "frictional encounters". ;)