View Full Version : And the Best Online Music Service Is...

Jason Dunn
04-11-2005, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1784304,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532' target='_blank'>http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1784304,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532</a><br /><br /></div><i>"It's taken the music industry the better part of ten years to finally devise some legal alternatives to the P2P file-sharing networks, and now there are well over a dozen online music services legally offering a wide range of genres to satisfy most musical palettes. Aside from one service's downloads being three cents cheaper than the next, what sets them apart? Which one gives you most flexibility about how you enjoy your music? And which one really gives you the most of what you want for your money?"</i><br /><br />Trying to pick the best online music service? Extremetech has a detailed article that covers most of the big players - on the North American scene that is. I wish they would have added an international element to tell those of us outside the USA which services might work. Still, if you live in the US, it's a good article to take a look at. Do you agree with the conclusions?

mememe
04-12-2005, 03:41 AM
[i]Trying to pick the best online music service?

If you don't mind being locked into one manufacture's players, iTunes, bar none, is the best service out there.. :D

Phronetix
04-12-2005, 04:38 AM
It has been my experience with Apple products that their design is second to none, their quality is near the top or better, and they just work. The sad fact is that just working is an achievement for much of what you buy these days.

Any time spent troubleshooting or tinkering is wasted time in my opinion. Every pocket pc, palm os pda, or windows-based product I've ever owned (keep in mind that Windows ME sent me packing for good to the Mac platform, so I don't know much about XP) has required hours- LOTS of hours of extra troubleshooting, soft and hard resets, extra bits of software/hacks to fix something that should be part of the OS. [/rant]

But the iPod is simple, it works, from the first time and has never had a problem. Just like my Powerbook, which incidentally I haven't had to restart since just before Halloween, aside from new software installs that require a restart. I love this OS, and I suspect there are several folks here who might take exception. I'm perfectly happy to pay more for this because in my life it is worth much more than what I pay to be able to count on the products I purchase to be reliable to the extent my iPod mini and shuffle are with the iTMS, with iTunes, and with my powerbook.

I don't really have much to compare my set up to, in all honesty. Frankly I cannot see the need to try anything else at this time, what with Tiger due to come out this month. The emergence of Longhorn will be interesting to watch from outside the park, where it's safe. :Fade-color