View Full Version : Hi end headphones

Gary Sheynkman
04-08-2005, 07:09 AM
Anyone into these :?:

There seems to be a new world (aka money pit) I am discovering. Where as I cannot possible afford CAV amps and speakers a nice headphone system will not cost more than my car...unless we are talking Stax equipment.

Anyone listen to their phones with an amp?

Do the names Grado RS1, Sennheiser HD650, Etymotic ER4P, Shure E5c (we have a review of those!), Westone UM series, AKG, and other stir your interest?

If so, share your equipment, experience, and expertise. Enough interest and I may just take a plunge on some equipment for review 8O 8) :lol: :wink:

Lee Yuan Sheng
04-08-2005, 06:01 PM
I like sealed headphones, and am looking at the AKG K 271s or the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros. The AKGs are possibly better, but I have yet to arrange for a listening test.

Jason Dunn
04-08-2005, 08:16 PM
Well, these are "high end" compared to the things you've rattled off, but I picked up Some Shure E2's last week and they're damn cool. :D

Darius Wey
04-09-2005, 03:04 AM
Despite being an audiophile, I try not to spend *too much* on headphones. I'd easily fork out a couple hundred for a set of quality DJ headphones, but I've refrained...for now.

For general use, I'll use my Sony MDRE888LP. For light DJ work, I'll use my Sony MDRG74SL. I get decent sound quality without having to give up an arm and a leg.

Gary Sheynkman
04-09-2005, 04:00 AM
Lee, for sealed headphones...the HD280Pros are by far the best quality and bargain....too good for their price. Very good airplane/dj phone.... though open style tend to be less muffled.... Jason....we should give John Grado a call

Lee Yuan Sheng
04-09-2005, 10:01 AM
But have you heard them? The AKGs have a pretty good reputation too, that's why I'm considering them.

Darius: The 888s are pretty decent earphones! Using them with my Treo now.

Darius Wey
04-10-2005, 02:18 AM
Darius: The 888s are pretty decent earphones! Using them with my Treo now.

Nice. :D