View Full Version : HotRecorder Lets People Search VOIP Chats

Jason Dunn
03-29-2005, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/Software+lets+people+search+VoIP+chitchat/2100-1032_3-5643916.html?part=rss&tag=5643916&subj=news' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/Software+lets+people+search+VoIP+chitchat/2100-1032_3-5643916.html?part=rss&tag=5643916&subj=news</a><br /><br /></div><i>"For the price of tailored advertisements, an Internet ad company is peddling free add-on features, including search capabilities, for conversations on Skype and other voice over Internet Protocol services. Privately held United Virtualities, based in New York, on Monday introduced downloadable software for recording and searching phone conversations via voice over Internet Protocol, or VoIP--a relatively new technology for placing phone calls over a broadband connection. The application, called HotRecorder, also allows people to create a voice mail box for VoIP calls and to forward messages to e-mail in-boxes or cell phones."</i><br /><br />2004/2005 certainly are the years of VOIP - I just switched my home phone service over to my cable company. "IP everything" is tearing down the walls between industries - if they've got a pipe, they want to sell you services to fill it. This technology - the ability to search audio conversations - is intriguing. I've never heard of anything like it before - was I living under a rock, or is this stuff fairly common now? Assuming you type the word(s) you're searching for into the app, does it do a high-speed speech to text recognition to find the term? Or do you speak the word(s) you're looking for and it does a waveform match? Either way, sounds cool. :-)

Kursplat
03-29-2005, 11:48 PM
Did you register for 911 service separately? I don't know if it is all VoIP carriers or just some that require you to explicitly register for 911 service separately (it is not activated by default).

Jason Dunn
03-29-2005, 11:52 PM
Did you register for 911 service separately? I don't know if it is all VoIP carriers or just some that require you to explicitly register for 911 service separately (it is not activated by default).

Hmm - nope, but I supposedly have "enhanced 911 service" where it actually tells the operator where I am, unlike most other VOIP services. So let's hope it works the next time I'm dying. ;-)