View Full Version : Turning an older PC into a PVR

merk1821
03-18-2005, 07:31 AM
HI again DMT. Im here agian mentioning my old Pentium III 550 into a PVR. It has an existing 30 GB hard drive, 324 MB of Ram, and an ATI TV Wonder tuner card. I was thinking instead of throwing it out i would turn it into a more capable TV recording machine. Any thoughts and experiences from the massive DMT braintrust out there? One thing that i know for sure is that a more capble tuner card is needed. anyways i look forward to the responses

The Yaz
03-18-2005, 06:51 PM
Hi merk1821,

I guess the first question is how much do you want to invest and what you want this computer to do.

The specs you listed are on the light side to run PVR successfully. Without knowing all of your specifics, here are some things I would suggest you consider to update this computer:

Storage: 30gb is way too low. I would think an added drive would be needed to store and edit your recordings. If you do not have a DVD-RW, this may be an option as well to get the files off the computer on a regular basis. If you've got firewire or USB2, then an external drive might be a good choice.

RAM: With XP running, 512mb is a minimum.

TV Card: I've used a Hauppauge WinTV card in a prior computer and it did a nice job of recording in either VCD(MPEG1) or DVD(MPEG2). I just bought a new computer and installed the ATI Wonder Card Pro. Both products seem to do a good job. I guess its just a matter of cost and availability.

You may want to check ATI's website for the latest driver to the card you already have. Maybe new code will make it work better for you.

The other issue maybe the processor itself. If your current setup has a problem converting the tv feed now, it may not improve even with the suggested updates. For under a $1,000 a new desktop would be an upgrade in every way.

Good luck,

Steve 8)

Jason Dunn
03-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Snapstream's BeyondTV is the best stand-alone PVR software on the market, so have a look at their system requirements page:

http://www.snapstream.com/Products/beyondtv/BTV_SysReq.asp

I think the CPU is the biggest problemm, and trying to buy the hardware to bring it up to spec will likely cost more than a cheap, entry-level computer. I just picked up a Dell (80 GB HD, 2.4 Ghz Celeron, 256MB RAM, no CD burner or monitor) for $250 USD last week (it was a limited-time special offer), but that puts it all into perspective.

My advice? Reformat the computer and give it to a less fortunate person who could make good use of it.