View Full Version : Media Center Remote

dr_doak
03-17-2005, 02:08 PM
My MS Media Center Remote just up and died yesterday while just sitting on my desk not doing anything... I've got an ir detector, so I know it isn't emitting anything and the buttons aren't lighting up.

And yes, I tried new batteries :wink:.

Anyone else hade problems with their remotes? Kind of annoying since I've only had the thing for about two weeks.

Jason Dunn
03-17-2005, 08:29 PM
Crazy! I have two remotes (one came with my HP zd7280 and the other I bought seperately) and both are still working fine. Did you get this with one of your sytems? I can't even find the one I ordered from NewEgg (they have a bad search engine)...but I think I remember it being about $20 or so.

dr_doak
03-17-2005, 09:43 PM
Mine was actually from Newegg... I only have the one Media Center that I built, so I haven't any others to try on it.

Newegg doesn't sell Media Center remotes on their own for some reason... They, and everyone else, seem to only sell them bundled with the ir receiver. Really quite annoying. They seem to have an older version remote that is stand alone, but I'd just as soon not get older revs.

Anyone looked at the Logitech Harmony 680?

Jason Dunn
03-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Anyone looked at the Logitech Harmony 680?

I have a Harmony 688, but it's upstairs with my TV and my Media Centre is downstairs in my office.

Holy crap, take a look at this one:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/detailsharmony/CA/EN,CRID=2084,CONTENTID=9933

8O

dr_doak
03-17-2005, 10:01 PM
Yeah, saw that when I discovered the 680 ;).
Now that's a fully featured remote that looks like a cell phone.

What it really needs is to display an alternate channel in full motion video on that screen so you can see when the commercials are over ;).

If I could get it for $175 I'd be all over that... Of course, only the 680 specifically says that it'll do media center PCs.