View Full Version : Toshiba Shows a Working Fuel Cell

James Fee
03-14-2005, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,120015,tk,dn031105X,00.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,120015,tk,dn031105X,00.asp</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Toshiba used the CeBIT trade show here to demonstrate for the first time an operating prototype fuel cell for notebook PCs, but the company--citing size, weight, and regulatory concerns--said it will not commercialize the technology for about another three years. The company previously said that it intended to have its direct methanol fuel cell for notebook PCs ready for the market in 2004, but the schedule has slipped several times. DMFCs are being developed to replace batteries for portable electronic devices. They typically work by mixing methanol with air and water to produce electrical power. Only methanol is required as fuel, and the byproducts are heat and water."</i><br /><br /><br />So lets see, as I use my laptop I have to either dump the water out every couple hours or have a wet lap? I'm sure this will work really well on an airplane. :roll: Guess it won't even get past security.<br /><br />Still, overclockers could have a nice water cooled system with the water given off. :lol:

mcsouth
03-14-2005, 10:47 PM
Actually, that wouldn't be that bad an idea. If you know that water was going to be a byproduct of the fuel cell, why wouldn't you use the heat from your processor/GPU evaporate the water, and the system fan could expel the water vapor with the other air pulled through the system. Obviously, some thought would have to be given to the ducting, and I'm not sure what the rate of water creation from the fuel cell would be vs the rate of evaporation from the hot innards, but still.....yeah, yeah, you'd want to be careful to avoid getting other innards wet also, but I don't see that being too complicated.

It would certainly be an option to cool the laptops more effectively, rather than frying your lap (and your family plans along with it.... :wink: )!

James Fee
03-15-2005, 02:42 AM
I just can't see how this would ever be approved on airplanes....

Gary Sheynkman
03-15-2005, 03:51 AM
image if you dropped it :lol: