View Full Version : Nikon D70 versus Canon Digital Rebel XT: Fight!

Jason Dunn
03-12-2005, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD70versusRebelXT.shtml' target='_blank'>http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD70versusRebelXT.shtml</a><br /><br /></div><i>"With the recent introduction of the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT / 350D digital SLR, we have received a number of inquires as to how the new Canon Digital Rebel XT compares to the Nikon D70 (Popular Photography's Camera of the Year for 2004). Clearly existing owners of Canon or Nikon equipment will have a strong predetermined brand preference. For those trying to decide which camera system to buy, however, we have completed an overview of the Nikon D70 compared to the Canon Digital Rebel XT, including the respective kit lens package."</i><br /><br />If you're considering one of these two new cameras, this article is a must-read. It's a well balanced analysis of each camera, and the end result surprised me a bit...

James Fee
03-12-2005, 09:39 PM
I think we were all reading the press about the Canon Rebel and forgetting how much of a jump the D70 was from cameras before it.

That was a nice review! 8)

Gary Sheynkman
03-13-2005, 01:05 AM
the d70 is an awesome camera.

However, the digic II chip allows for uber fast operation which gives the 350d a leg up. The kit lense with the d70 IS a very good lense though. I guess in the end it is up to preference of ergos

Lee Yuan Sheng
03-13-2005, 02:35 AM
DIGIC is marketing trollop. Every other digital camera has a similar chip or set of chips that does the same thing, except that Canon chose to give it a fancy name. Come to think of it, Panasonic does the same thing, calling theirs the Venus LSI engine.

djh
03-13-2005, 03:05 AM
I think a lot of people have forgotten just how much of a step forward the D70 was when it was released. Many seem to think it is a 300D competitor, when it actually sits between Canon's 300D and 20D. The new Canon sits right in this space as well so it will be going head to head with the Nikon.

My D70 has had a ton of use and it's only limitation has been me. I have a D2H as well, and the D70 compares very well to it.

As far as I'm concerned, the new 350D is a very welcome new addition. Better technology at lower price points is brilliant. Nikon seem to have a slower product cycle than Canon, but I'm sure there will be new models this year to replace the D100 and possibly the D70.

The D70 and 300D both take fantastic pictures, the 350D is sure to as well. Super products at bargain prices - works for me :D

Gary Sheynkman
03-13-2005, 05:11 AM
DIGIC is marketing trollop. Every other digital camera has a similar chip or set of chips that does the same thing, except that Canon chose to give it a fancy name. Come to think of it, Panasonic does the same thing, calling theirs the Venus LSI engine.

I know how much of a Nikon fan-boy you are! :lol:

Take a 10D and a 20D and compare startup/focus/review etc times. I have and can tell you that the difference is amazing. That, my friend, is the Digic II vs I difference

marlof
03-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Take a 10D and a 20D and compare startup/focus/review etc times. I have and can tell you that the difference is amazing. That, my friend, is the Digic II vs I difference

Sure the Digic II makes Canons perform better. But you originally implied that the Canon 350D might be a better camera than the Nikon D70, since the 350D has the Digic II processor and therefor had a "leg up" on the D70 when it comes to speed. I'm not yet convinced about that: take a 10D and a D70, and you'll notice a similar change in startup and whatever. I think what Lee meant, is that the Digic II alone is not the answer, since Nikon has their Nikon way of dealing with things the Digic is taking care for in the Canon. I believe it's called the LSI (Large Scale Integrated Circuit) in the D70. It's not as if the D70 still has to struggle with a Digic I processor... As I see it from the initial tests, the Digic II allows the 350D to play catchup with the Nikon in the speed department, but not much more than that. Of course, the combination of the Digic II and the CMOS sensor will also play a role in high ISO noise and image sharpness. These are interesting times for people like me, on the verge of getting a DSLR and not yet bound to a system. I can't wait to see the first full reviews. So far, the D70 with it's great 18-70 kit lens still looks like a steal to me. Add a 80-200 AF-D (or if I can afford it a VR) to the mix, and I think I'll be very happy. OTOH, the Canon 350D with a 17-40L and a 70-200L (if I can afford it with IS) doesn't sound too shabby either.

Gary Sheynkman
03-14-2005, 06:58 AM
The digic II is not the uber chip to end all uber chips but it is the latest/greatest and performs very well.

Lee Yuan Sheng
03-14-2005, 04:22 PM
I know how much of a Nikon fan-boy you are! :lol:

That is a personal insult to me.

The difference between the 10D and the 20D is greater than a chip. It's a combination of electronics and software; I wish people would think past the marketing hype companies throw at them.

James Fee
03-14-2005, 04:55 PM
I wish people would think past the marketing hype companies throw at them.Next you'll tell me that Pentax is not the Official Digital Camera of the Internet (http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5309)?