View Full Version : DVHS on a Budget

James Fee
02-24-2005, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/124304.html' target='_blank'>http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/124304.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Just as TiVo enthusiasts are getting used to having the ability to record all their favorite programs, HD has come along and changed things. A standard TiVo set can’t record HD content; you’ll have to shell out at least $500 for an HD-recording unit. Additionally, not everyone has TiVo, and many that do don’t get their local channels (where a lot of HD content is to be found) except through an antenna. Amazingly enough, this has caused a renewed interest in VCRs—but VCRs that can record HD content. These HD-VCRs are great, but the tapes are expensive, and they make keeping a lot of HD content—such as an entire season of Stargate SG-1 or Alias—difficult, if not impossible. But a little bit of work and a lot of clever experimentation can get you around this limitation, keep you in HD content, and impress your buddies."</i><br /><br />I hate tapes, I really do. But unfortunately it really is the only "cheap" way to record HD content. eCoustics has an article on modding the tapes so you can use cheaper SVHS tapes, rather than the DVHS tapes. Kind of reminds be of cutting those old 5 1/4" floppy drives back in the old days to enable the double side. 8)

klinux
02-24-2005, 08:02 PM
Thanks for bringing back the memories re the 5Ľ" floppy discs!

jeffd
02-24-2005, 08:34 PM
lol, back on my first pc's, I used to run a program called 2M. an ingeniou little TSR program that would allow me to format and save up to 2 megabytes on a 1.44mb floppy. All its floppys were even bootable so that if you were at a computer that didnt have 2m installed, you simply boot the computer with the disc in, and the 2M TSR is installed. I think Win95 ended up breaking it though. :(

jizmo
02-25-2005, 09:22 AM
So what IS the bandwidth and storage capacity on SVHS and newer tapes? There used to be a lot of VHS backing up solutions for Amiga where you could storage 'upto 520mb on a 4-hour tape' :lol:

Seemed like a data universe at the time.

/jizmo