View Full Version : Macrovision Introduces RipGuard DVD to "Dramatically Reduce Digital DVD Piracy"

James Fee
02-15-2005, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.macrovision.com/company/news/press/newsdetail.jsp?id=Tue%20Feb%2015%2006:07:16%20PST%202005' target='_blank'>http://www.macrovision.com/company/news/press/newsdetail.jsp?id=Tue%20Feb%2015%2006:07:16%20PST%202005</a><br /><br /></div><i>"RipGuard DVD is a unilateral content protection system that is applied to DVD discs and requires no additional software or hardware to be incorporated into PCs, DVD players or DVD recorders. The combination of Macrovision’s analog copy protection technology (ACP) and RipGuard DVD provides comprehensive DVD protection for both major piracy threats faced by video content copyright owners — the analog and digital holes. RipGuard DVD is a technological solution that effectively protects a copyright owner’s rights. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) makes it illegal to attempt circumvention of such technological measures."</i><br /><br />There goes Macrovision, stepping on users rights to "protect" the copyright owners rights. :roll: I'm not going to mention fair use, but lets just say making copies of DVDs could be virtually impossible in a couple years. Better get your subscription money ready for those PMPs that Felix thinks are going to take off.

jeffd
02-16-2005, 04:12 AM
your assuming what they say is true... I of course am heavily scepticle. For starters.. a GREAT DEAL of peoples methods for playing back of dvds are their computers. Many computers sold today has one dvdr drive to handel all needs. My laptop drive is a combo cdrw and dvd reader. Exactly how is this going to possibly stop me from reading, and therefor ripping the disc? I think macrovision is lieing to the movie companies to make a buck on this one. ^^

jizmo
02-16-2005, 10:15 AM
They actually got their idiotic three R rhyme mixed up theirselves in the actual product page (http://www.macrovision.com/products/complete_dvd_protection.shtml).

So, people "Rip, rent and return" in that order, huh? You got to love the attention they put to detail in their marketing :lol:

I also love the 'duh' -style graphic representation they've put up of the pie filling in the empty pie hole there.

/jizmo

bluemax
02-16-2005, 06:26 PM
I wonder if any of this is going to make a difference once digital TV becomes real (if it ever does). Won't we have to trash our current library of bought and paid for DVDs/VHS content?

On another note, I guess paying Macrovision is part of the big bux lost to piracy. All of this is such a pain. I know people who just don't get it and keep copying dvds and other media. I however, do not have a single video or mp3 file not backed up by hard media and I don't share them with others. I'm trying to be fair about all this. Am I the only one?

Bill B

jeffd
02-17-2005, 09:36 AM
blue..mm..no? why would I need to ditch my digital dvd's for my digital tv? hdtv is actually still rather inferior to a good monitor.