View Full Version : Sigma Launches 10 Digitally Optimized Lenses

Chris Gohlke
02-16-2005, 04:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05021401sigma10dgs.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05021401sigma10dgs.asp</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Sigma Corporation is pleased to announce the launch of the ten DG EX telephoto lenses. Recently, the demand for digitally optimized lenses increases rapidly as digital single lens reflex camera increases its market share. Sigma Corporation has started production of wide-angle lens DG series in 2000 and the number of DG series reached to thirteen models as of February 14, 2005. This time ten new EX telephoto lenses including three single focus telephoto lenses (APO 300mm F2.8 EX, APO 500mm F4.5 EX APO 800mm F5.6 EX) will be introduced to market as DG lens series, which demonstrates high performance with digital single, lens reflex cameras."</i><br /><br />Sigma has optimized their lens for use with digital SLR. The linked story mentions that there are no details as to exactly what that means. :? So is this just a branding thing or can a lens be optimized for a digital SLR?

Doug Johnson
02-16-2005, 05:04 AM
There is a rumor floating around that lenses optimized for digital have different coatings on them. Supposedly it helps with color and sharpness, though I have not seen any data that actually backs that up.

djh
02-16-2005, 05:20 AM
Lenses that are optimised for digital are made to use with the APS 16 x 24 mm size sensor that is used in many dSLRs such as the Nikons and most of the Canons.

Because they have an image circle that is smaller than the 35 mm film or full size 35 mm sensor, they are not really suitable to use with non-APS cameras.

The main advantage with these lenses is that they can be made smaller and lighter than conventional 35 mm lenses of the same focal length.

Popular lenses that fall into this catergory include the Nikon DX and Tamron Di series.

I think there is something behind Doug's comment as well in that these lenses are made to help the light strike the sensor at a particular consistant angle.

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-16-2005, 06:46 PM
These lenses project an image circle large enough to cover a 35mm frame; DG is just more Sigma marketing mumbo jumbo.[/list]

Gordo
02-17-2005, 04:08 PM
I extracted the following information from the Sigma site, and according to there site they have new lenses of both types:

DG (DG Lens)
These are large-aperture lenses with wide angles and short minimum focusing distances. With an abundance of peripheral illumination, they are ideal lenses for Digital SLR Cameras whilst retaining suitability for traditional 35mm SLRs.

DC (DC Lens)
These are special lenses designed so that the image circle matches the smaller size of the image sensor of most digital SLR cameras. Their specialized design gives these lenses the ideal properties for digital cameras, the compact and lightweight construction is an added bonus ! including compact and lightweight construction.

djh
02-18-2005, 04:09 AM
I extracted the following information from the Sigma site, and according to there site they have new lenses of both types:

DG (DG Lens)
These are large-aperture lenses with wide angles and short minimum focusing distances. With an abundance of peripheral illumination, they are ideal lenses for Digital SLR Cameras whilst retaining suitability for traditional 35mm SLRs.

DC (DC Lens)
These are special lenses designed so that the image circle matches the smaller size of the image sensor of most digital SLR cameras. Their specialized design gives these lenses the ideal properties for digital cameras, the compact and lightweight construction is an added bonus ! including compact and lightweight construction.

I would have to agree with Lee Yuan, the DG lenses are obviously not really "digital optimized" and are indeed Marketing Mumbo Jumbo.