View Full Version : Microsoft And Apple - The End-to-End Experience Question

Suhit Gupta
02-10-2005, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://weblogs.asp.net/omars/archive/2005/02/04/366779.aspx' target='_blank'>http://weblogs.asp.net/omars/archive/2005/02/04/366779.aspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"What some people fail to understand is that there is a fundamental difference between Apple and Microsoft. Apple creates the hardware for their end users. They start with an end to end scenario. That is, they come up with a compelling idea, and they design the solution. No other company does this in the consumer space, and it's not possible unless you own everything in the scenario ... Now contrast this to Microsoft. For the past few years the focus has been on building a world class platform. From the codec's, to the encoding technology, to the protocol for moving bits from the computer to the device, to the encryption technology, policy enforcement of digital rights, and servers to manage those rights it's all been spec'ed and delivered in a manner that any software developer can utilize. You can create your own Music Store and sell content to anyone with a compatible device."</i><br /><br />Wow, does someone from Microsoft finally get it? This article seems to have been provoked by the sensational <a href="http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,66460,00.html?tw=wn_story_page_prev2">Wired article</a> that we all saw over the last couple of weeks. But there is a lot of merit to the point of view suggested here. Clearly stated, there is a fundamental difference in the philosophy between the two companies. Apple has created a fantastic music player, the iPod, that has essentially won over the market. And while a lot of people wonder why Microsoft is not competing against it, this article points out that that is not Microsoft's strategy. Instead, Microsoft wants to create a killer end to end technology platform, for example - the Portable Media Center and Janus. Apple has not opened up iTunes and the AAC format is essentially proprietary to the iPod and iTunes, plus has cornered the 60GB HDD market, but this control has given rise to a fantastic looking, extremely popular and very convenient player (despite the loss in audio quality - 128Kbit). While other companies (Creative, iRiver, Rio) have produced music players that are, as far as the featureset goes, far superior, none of them offer the complete solution that Apple has offered. Microsoft, on the other hand, has tried to create the platforms that would allow for this kind of solution, however, it appears to be hampered by negotiations between them and the various OEMs.<br /><br />At this point, obviously Apple's strategy is winning, at least in the portable music arena. Unfortunately, it is doubtful that the conclusions stated in this article will work, but I think the points are stated beautifully. Highly Recommended reading.

coreymcl
03-09-2005, 04:14 AM
I am one whom after purchasing an iPod purchased a MAC. I have been a Windows fan for a number of years and own many Windows based PC's. But I have to say my MAC just works all the time and NEVER has any problems. I don't have to worry about SPY ware or 99.9% of viruses, well infact I have never seen a virus warning on my MAC from my symantec software.

Don't get me wrong I love my Tablet PC and use it everyday at work during meeting and for keeping notes. I would say the biggest reason why Apple has not sold more MAC's is because they can not get people to stop and look at them and I mean really look at them. I believe if they did more people would buy them over Windows PC's. Like most people who read this site I have to answer computer questions for relatives who know next to nothing about computers. I have stated tell people who call me for help to buy a MAC. They just won't have the problems they see today.

Well this is my opinion!