View Full Version : Pre-PMA hype thread!

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-03-2005, 08:34 PM
Well, the yearly PMA show is just about to begin, and as usual there is a ton of speculation on the net. Normally I don't talk much about equipment, but since it's PMA, and I do want a new DSLR..

DSLRs have been getting more and more popular, thanks to their decreasing cost, and the really great image quality and their versatility. With the EOS 300D, then the D70, the barriers to entry for DSLRs have been significantly lowered. This PMA will start the next round of even cheaper or cooler DSLRs (or even both). On the DSLR front, I know that there're 3 cameras that will probably be announced:

Nikon D2HS
Nikon D200
Canon EOS 350D (Rebel XT?)

Since I've a fair amount of Nikkors, I'll be looking at the D200, and am hoping the D2HS will drive the price of the D2H down even more in the secondary market. :wink:

Beyond the DSLRs, I have no clue what's coming out. Feel free to post your wishlist, speculation, or what not regarding new cameras, lenses, whatnot as well as the hardware that has been announced for PMA 2005!

djh
02-21-2005, 01:14 AM
Two out of three isn't bad.

I've given up on Nikon coming out with anything new for a while so I just ordered the D2H at the <$2k price. I didn't want to to wait any longer in case there were none left. I don't need the higher frame rate of the D2Hs and certainly wouldn't pay the asking price for one.

I know you're not a Sigma fan, but I intend to check out the new wide zoom as well. I'd really like the Nikon 12-24, but it's just so expensive.

The most exciting PMA camera is clearly the 350D. Certainly raises the bar for entry level dSLRs.

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Two out of three isn't bad.

I've given up on Nikon coming out with anything new for a while so I just ordered the D2H at the <$2k price. I didn't want to to wait any longer in case there were none left. I don't need the higher frame rate of the D2Hs and certainly wouldn't pay the asking price for one.

I know you're not a Sigma fan, but I intend to check out the new wide zoom as well. I'd really like the Nikon 12-24, but it's just so expensive.

The most exciting PMA camera is clearly the 350D. Certainly raises the bar for entry level dSLRs.

Heh, well, I should've known when it was all quiet on the D200 front.

I'm also waiting to get a D2H at that price, sadly it's only available in the US. Anyone wants to be a courier for a day? =P Oh, frame rate on the D2H and D2Hs are identical; 8 fps.

As for wide angle lenses, there's also a Tokina 12-24 that's taking forever to come out. What I'd like to see though is a series of wide angle DX primes, a 12/2.8 DX in particular.

The Canon 350D sounds neat, but I still think the D70 is the better all rounder.

djh
02-21-2005, 11:33 PM
I'm also waiting to get a D2H at that price, sadly it's only available in the US. Anyone wants to be a courier for a day? =P Oh, frame rate on the D2H and D2Hs are identical; 8 fps.

B and H ship overseas.....
For International customers, we can ship via US Postal Service, or International UPS, depending on the weight, value, and destination of your merchandise. Please note that we will ship only to your home address, or to a USA residential address. B&H is not responsible for and can offer no specific advice on import fees, duty, Customs or taxes that you may be charged when your merchandise reaches you and urges you to consult your local government import office with any questions.

I ordered my D2H from them at $1,999.00
www.bhphotovideo.com

Of course the shipping and duties might make it an unrealistic proposition.