View Full Version : iTunes Music Store Downloads Top a Quarter Billion Songs

Kent Pribbernow
01-24-2005, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jan/24itms.html' target='_blank'>http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jan/24itms.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Apple today announced that music fans have purchased and downloaded more than 250 million songs from the iTunes Music Store. iTunes users are now downloading one and a quarter million songs per day, which is an annual run rate of almost half a billion songs per year.” </i><br /><br />iTunes growth keeps on trucking. I have to hand it to Apple for managing to sustain iTunes music sales. My personal belief was that over time, music download rates would taper off. That hasn't happened so far, thanks in no small part to iPod sales.

James Fee
01-24-2005, 05:11 PM
Quater billion sounds much larger than 250 million. It's still impressive though....

Jason Dunn
01-24-2005, 06:45 PM
Quater billion sounds much larger than 250 million. It's still impressive though....

Indeed - good old marketing-speak. :lol:

Jason Eaton
01-24-2005, 09:47 PM
So, thats great and all for iTunes. But what are the numbers for the other company players? You don't seem to hear anything for Napster, Real, Virgin et al. and I am curious how this new industry is doing.

RWC_Zippy
01-24-2005, 10:45 PM
You don't seem to hear anything for Napster, Real, Virgin et al. and I am curious how this new industry is doing.
I aggree... Apple doesn't make the only digital audio device out there... I'm sure that the only reason we hear stats from Apple is because of the iPod buzz... IMHO I am getting a little sick-and-tired of hearing "iPod this... iPod that"

Pretty soon 'iPod' is going to be synonymus for 'digital music player', kinda like 'kleenex' is for 'tissue' or 'xerox' is for 'photocopy'... :)

Jason Dunn
01-24-2005, 11:01 PM
So, thats great and all for iTunes. But what are the numbers for the other company players? You don't seem to hear anything for Napster, Real, Virgin et al. and I am curious how this new industry is doing.

The truth is they likely don't have anything to brag about - Apple is taking the lions share of the online music market right now, and they have impressive numbers.