View Full Version : Annoying Windows Media Player 10 Bug

Jason Dunn
01-20-2005, 04:00 AM
I just discovered an incredibly irritating bug in Windows Media Player 10 - while it's processing the Media Information (see my earlier post from today on that), it still plays video/audio files if you double-click on a file...but because the "Processing Media Information" dialogue box is fixed, you can't get to the Now Player tab to stop the playback, nor can you access the stop button. I don't want to hit cancel, because I want to see how long the metataging process takes, but at the moment there's an a capella version of "Ants" (Dave Matthews Band) that's been looping for the past several hours. It's a good thing this isn't my main computer... :roll:

Have any of your own pet peeves with WMP10?

Neil Enns
01-20-2005, 05:04 PM
I dunno whether it's a bug in WMP, or in how the Zen Micro works, but my wife can't transfer files with long artist/title information to her Micro. The transfer craps out whenever it hits one of these files, and she has to shorten the name to make it work. Grr :(

Neil

mghannigan
01-20-2005, 08:26 PM
There's no way to edit the year of a recording inside the WMP interface.

To update the year, you must use Explorer to navigate to the file, open it's properties and use the advanced menu to make the changes.

Jason Dunn
01-20-2005, 08:36 PM
There's no way to edit the year of a recording inside the WMP interface.

You're right! I haven't noticed that, because that's not a piece of metadata that I care about personally, but that does seem like a strange limitation.

victore
01-20-2005, 08:38 PM
I've got my music on a server and I use WMP 10 on my laptop. After I added my music to the library, I created a Auto Playlist to put a playlist together for songs that have been added in the past 7 days. I was hoping this would create a list of recently downloaded podcasts from Doppler. Well, the playlist doesn't seem to be pulling the right songs into thhe playlist. Is there a way to force the Auto Playlist to update?

phillypocket
01-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Btw, you may want to post these issues to the Channel9 wmp wiki (http://channel9.msdn.com/wiki/default.aspx/Channel9.WindowsMediaPlayerFeedback). It can only help the chances of the software improving. :)

victore
01-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

I checked the wiki and someone else has mentioned my problem under "Directory Watching". Someone else posted a reply, saying that this feature is part of NTFS. However, I think it may only work if the library is on the same machine as WMP, it may not work if I'm trying to build the Auto Playlist across my LAN.

Jason Dunn
01-22-2005, 06:08 PM
I checked the wiki and someone else has mentioned my problem under "Directory Watching". Someone else posted a reply, saying that this feature is part of NTFS. However, I think it may only work if the library is on the same machine as WMP, it may not work if I'm trying to build the Auto Playlist across my LAN.

Yeah, the "Monitor this folder" function is COMPLETELY broken when it's not a local folder...I've struggled with that for a long time. :roll: The worst part is that there's not even a manual "Please update my library" function. :?