View Full Version : Convert entire library to MP3

hoffm11
01-19-2005, 06:36 PM
I have all my music files (5,000 of them) in WMA format in all various dirctories under the "My Music" folder. I want to convert them all to mp3 because I have a Creative Nomad and thinking of getting a iPod shuffle. What do you think I should use?

sojourner753
01-19-2005, 07:22 PM
There is a free program called dbPowerAmp I think. Its free. If I can confirm the name I willl.
I never could figure out how to get it to operate in batch though.

hoffm11
01-19-2005, 07:33 PM
I found a way to do this.. You can actually convernt wma's to mp3's using iTunes. Just download the new version and do the following.

GO to EDIT - Preferences - Select MP3 and the desired bitrate.

Then go to File - Import Folder....

sojourner753
01-30-2005, 10:15 PM
I wonder if iTunes will convert my AAC to MP3. When I first got my iPod I ripped everything into AAC format. But now I'm thinking MP3 would have been better. Simply because its universally supported. I'm all about choice.

The converter that I mentioned earlier is called dBpowerAMP. You can find it here (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/).

Althougth I'm thinking it might be better to just re-rip them from scratch. Perhaps to not loose any sound quality. I'm not audio-phile, but I'm trying to think of the future. You know when all of my media is flying through the air to any point in my house. {sigh}

My only concern with re-ripping is that its 6gb of music. Thats a lot of time for me to invest all over again. 8O Plus I know it will take up more storage space.

Balthazar
04-04-2008, 10:41 AM
I have a rather extensive music library (250gig+) and my files are in a plethora of formats, i would like to convert everything to mp3. But because of the size of my library im looking for a program that can automatically go through my folders and convert what isnt mp3 and still keep all the information updated, most of the programs i have used so far only keep the file name and none of the rest of the info (such as artist, genre, year ext) if anyone knows of a program that could do this (free or not) i would greatly appreciate a heads up about it

Jason Dunn
05-03-2008, 12:33 AM
I have a rather extensive music library (250gig+) and my files are in a plethora of formats, i would like to convert everything to mp3.

Check out Media Monkey:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

"Convert MP3s, M4A, OGG, FLAC and WMA files into other formats"

I'd be VERY surprised if it didn't keep all the file metadata...try it on a single file and see.

wilkinsjme
05-12-2008, 03:05 AM
I second dbpoweramp. It's free. Although there is a reference version as well for $28.
Plenty of options for converting files from/to various formats, deleting/keeping the source file, transferring tags, etc.

I use it to convert from .flac to .aac.

With dbpoweramp I would recommend doing a windows search for your music you want to convert, then select the files, right click and select convert to, pick your format, set your options then sit back and let it work.

Freak2000
05-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Try converter Tunecab, it converts audio/video files to any formats