View Full Version : eCoustics: "Standard or High Definition: It's All in the Pixel Count"

Jason Dunn
01-18-2005, 12:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/118003.html' target='_blank'>http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/118003.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Most of us don't think much about the images we look at on a TV, flat-panel display, or on a laptop or desktop computer screen; that is, we don't think about what comprises the image—because our eyes and brain merge all the elements of color, brightness and contrast into a "picture" we immediately see. The process is similar, but not exactly analogous, to what happens when we watch a movie. We don't sit there and dissect the 24 still pictures presented sequentially every second (in the case of a TV program, 30 frames per second). Our visual system and brain merge the rapidly moving images into motion, and if the TV show or movie is any good, we're happy."</i><br /><br />eCoustics has some good content, but this is one of the best articles I've ever read on the subject of TV resolution and how it impacts the buying decision. I have a Samsung DLP TV with a native resolution of 1280 x 720, and everything other than the four HDTV channels I get from my digital cable looks like crap. But that's the price I was willing to pay - knowing that my TV is capable of amazing quality, but I won't be able to see that quality until more content is available for it. Kind of makes you wonder why I bought the TV, doesn't it? :roll: :lol:

mememe
01-18-2005, 05:02 PM
[i]knowing that my TV is capable of amazing quality, but I won't be able to see that quality until more content is available for it. Kind of makes you wonder why I bought the TV, doesn't it? :roll: :lol:

Not at all.. nothing like Nature's Hawaii show this last week.. Or CSI whatever in HD.. Or football.. freakin' amazing.. Once you watch it you can't go back. I just wish the NHL was in play and it was then shown in HD.. :?

Lee Yuan Sheng
01-18-2005, 05:24 PM
Actually I'm thinking about gaming on such a TV. A nice huge hi-res screen, a good console/PC, and a few good games. Oh, a nice couch, and a coffee table full of yummy treats! Now that's a good night!

mememe
01-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Actually I'm thinking about gaming on such a TV. A nice huge hi-res screen, a good console/PC, and a few good games. Oh, a nice couch, and a coffee table full of yummy treats! Now that's a good night!

Yes.. Halo 2 and DOA Ultimate in HD on my widescreen.. that was another benefit I forgot..

Simply put, you will never go back :D

jizmo
01-19-2005, 03:19 PM
With four channels you have things pretty good there, buddy. Here at Finland they really screwed up by digitalizing the TV and overlooking the high-definition thing completely.

Result? Flat screen TVs are selling like crazy but there's no HD content AT ALL. Retailers advertise the televisions as having "the sharpest image ever", when in reality the only HD video available is coming out of the boxes that manufacturers have supplied for demo purposes. :roll:

Yes.. Halo 2 and DOA Ultimate in HD on my widescreen.. that was another benefit I forgot..

Since most games just support 480p instead of 480i, is the difference that big? I've been trying to find an excuse to upgrade to HDTV and this one might be just it.

/jizmo

Lee Yuan Sheng
01-19-2005, 03:44 PM
Well, that's what using a proper PC for games is all about! Muhahahahah!