View Full Version : Sony DSC-P73 vs Canon A85

Macguy59
01-05-2005, 08:57 PM
I've read numerous reviews on both camera's but what I really need is someone that is familiar with both. It is really tough to choose between the 2 :( Pricewise they are pretty close P73 $237 A85 $263 What I care about most is picture quality. Things like sharpness, accurate color and exposure. I do 90% of my shooting in auto mode. I would greatly appreciate additional comments/insight about these digicams. Thanks.

PeterB666
01-06-2005, 04:20 AM
Canon A85 has more manual controls and uses cheaper CF memory cards.

Sony is the more responsive camera with sutter lag about half that of the Canon, but uses relatively expensive Memory Sticks. Pathetically small 1.5" LCD, but you get unlimited length movie mode at 640x480 (only 30s in the Canon). Limited apertures in manual mode but that probably isn't an issue for you.

Probably not a great deal between them on picture quality. The differences are quite minor overall.

Probably a little bit more noise and purple fringing in the Canon.

Sony receives a little more noise processing, so lower noise but with a marginal loss of detail in shadows. Also compression is a little higher so some loss of detail there. Very little purple fringing, but the images will be a little softer due to the previously stated reasons. This may just start to be noticable when printing at 10x8.

As you are probably aware, all cameras represent a compromise. On picture quality alone, the Canon is the better camera.

Macguy59
01-06-2005, 04:36 AM
As you are probably aware, all cameras represent a compromise. On picture quality alone, the Canon is the better camera.

Thanks Peter. That's interesting because most of the reviews I've read have the Sony picture quality as 'High' or 'Excellent" while the A85 is usually 'Very Good'. With my eyes in the test pictures I've looked at the Sony does lose a bit of detail due to their aggressive noise reduction but good exposure and realistic colors. A85 pics have great color (do they boost color levels?) but look slightly overexposed and soft

So that's 1 for the Canon :)

Lee Yuan Sheng
01-06-2005, 05:51 AM
Buy the Canon. Image quality with modern digital cameras will not be an issue to most people.

Jerry Raia
01-18-2005, 11:56 PM
The memory stick alone is enough reason NOT to buy the Sony.

Macguy59
01-19-2005, 12:08 AM

That's just flat out baloney. BTW I ended up buying the Sony because of the "soft" picture quality of the Canon.

Lee Yuan Sheng
01-19-2005, 02:37 AM
Oh, Canon's look soft (Nikon's even softer) due to the default low sharpening in-camera. Good if you like to post process, bad if you just want to snap.

djh
01-19-2005, 04:48 AM
I agree 100%. With an investment in SD and CF cards, I have no intention of getting into another memory format.

By the way, I bought my daughter an A95 for Christmas. Great little camera for the money.