View Full Version : Is renting music legal yet?

skunkaperecords
12-29-2004, 08:39 AM
Is the rental of Compact Disc's legal if I am renting a CD that I purchased? I see all these online subscription services like Netflix.com and Gamefly.com but I have yet to see an online website where people can rent music CD's in a subscription service.

Is it legal? If not, then why not? Of course these would all be original copies purchased by my company. None would be copies, just originals. Exactly like Netflix or Blockbuster or Hollywood Video but with music CD's instead.

I would like to know everyone's views on this subject.

Jason Dunn
12-29-2004, 07:18 PM
I don't know...it seems like it's not legal, doesn't it? I know that CD rental is very popular in Japan, and almost everyone rents the CD then rips it to their computer/device, but I wonder if there are laws in North America/Europe that prohibit it?

skunkaperecords
12-30-2004, 01:41 AM
Yeah I don't know. It seems like it must be illegal because then why haven't companies like Netflix and Gamefly.com done it already right?
But then again, I know libraries rent out music CD's because my father in law rents CD's from his local library all the time.

And even if it's not legal, I think it will be soon because Microsoft and a bunch of other companies are going to be coming out with a digital "rental" service where you can rent music and download it to your computer. And then if you cancel your subscription they will make the file disappear from your computer and all devices.

But I am only talking about renting actualy "tangible" CD's not this digital stuff.

If you find out please let me know ok? I am very anxious to start up a business where people can rent CD's online just like Netflix.

Thanks!

Jason

Jason Dunn
12-30-2004, 01:50 AM
If you find out please let me know ok? I am very anxious to start up a business where people can rent CD's online just like Netflix.

If you're interested in starting up a business, you'll want to get a lawyer's opinion on this - some guy in a forum saying something is not the foundation you build a business upon. :wink:

skunkaperecords
12-30-2004, 03:07 AM
Oh yes, of course not. I am going to see an entertainment lawyer about all of this but I was just curious to see what others have to say.

Jason Dunn
12-30-2004, 07:24 AM
I'd be QUITE interested in knowing what happens...let us know!