View Full Version : Archos AV400 series?

xxpinballxx
12-22-2004, 03:16 PM
I am aggressively searching for the right PVP to buy. I have seen many reviews and it seems the 400 series from archos reign supreme but still have many reviews with alot of negativity.

Can anyone who has the units or has tried various ones fill me in on whats good out there.

I really like the Tivo like capabilities of the archos even with the rather lengthy set-up of the yahoo page for this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Jason Dunn
12-22-2004, 03:55 PM
I haven't used the AV400 series myself, but since you're specifically looking for PVR capabilities, that rules out all the Windows Mobile-based Portable Media Centers. Among PVR-based units, Archos is the top dog - the units I've tried have interfaces that are fairly complex, but if you're comfortable with that, they're quite powerful.

We'd love to review an AV400, but Archos refuses to send us one. :roll:

xxpinballxx
12-22-2004, 07:19 PM
I haven't used the AV400 series myself, but since you're specifically looking for PVR capabilities, that rules out all the Windows Mobile-based Portable Media Centers. Among PVR-based units, Archos is the top dog - the units I've tried have interfaces that are fairly complex, but if you're comfortable with that, they're quite powerful.

We'd love to review an AV400, but Archos refuses to send us one. :roll:

I recently bought an A190 sony Vaio laptop and planned on using that but after bringing it home and seeing all that it had I was leaning towards using it as a desktop replacement. A litle cumbersome to pack up and takes up alot of space. Therefore I am wanting a Player that can record to cut out one step in the transfering process of the TV shows or movies.

I have seen mixed reviews which causes some hesitation on my part to pay the high price for the Archos, plus the anticipation of the 500 series with PDA functionality. Although I guess now with my MPx220 I really do not need that.
Thanks for the reply.
Great site by the way. New here from over at smartphonethoughts!