View Full Version : How to get Crocodile Hunter season episodes w/out cable?

famousdavis
12-21-2004, 03:20 PM
I don't have cable TV or a satellite. I don't want them, either.

I do want recorded episodes of shows like Animal Planet's Crocodile Hunter or Jeff Corwin. But like I said, I don't have cable TV.

I don't mind paying to get recorded episodes of shows, like Crocodile Hunter. I'm not out to infringe copyrights or skirt the law.

Unlike certain shows -- Friends and Seinfeld come to mind -- I can't find a boxed set of the full season episodes of Crocodile Hunter or Jeff Corwin. I can find a few scant DVDs of a few shows for Crocodile Hunter, but it's nowhere near the number of season episodes that have played over cable over the last few years.

Is there some way of obtaining these shows in a legal manner, without breaking any laws? I wish cable TV offered an a la carte selection of channels, but they don't, and I don't want to fork over $50 a month to get episodes of a very few shows.

If I figure out this problem, my 8- and 6-year-olds would adore me forever...or, at least until they turn into young adolescents.

Thoughts?

Jason Dunn
12-21-2004, 03:24 PM
I can only think of you searching for them on Kazaa or another file sharing network...I've done that a few times when I"ve missed a TV show. I don't think the US court system has dealt with P2P sharing of TV shows, so I have no idea as to the legality of it all.

Lee Yuan Sheng
12-21-2004, 04:13 PM
It's probably illegal, but I do it for some shows anyway. Reason because either the local tv stations never bring them here, or they bring them here and then give them midnight slots. -_-

You might want to try finding bittorrents, but recent developments in tracker sites haven't been too good; Suprnova has just closed down (a minute's silence please) and I hear a few others have as well, and the rest are groaning plenty as everyone floods to them.

Darius Wey
12-22-2004, 07:20 AM
Are you after this (http://www.sanity.com.au/search.asp?LOC=1190&q=crocodile+hunter&l=&f=&x=23&y=12) sort of stuff?

Jason Dunn
12-22-2004, 03:07 PM
Are you after this (http://www.sanity.com.au/search.asp?LOC=1190&q=crocodile+hunter&l=&f=&x=23&y=12) sort of stuff?

They're all in PAL though, which I think will be a problem. :(

Lee Yuan Sheng
12-22-2004, 04:33 PM
I thought multisystems were pretty common now?

Jason Dunn
12-22-2004, 04:41 PM
I thought multisystems were pretty common now?

What's a multisystem?

famousdavis
12-22-2004, 07:24 PM

Not really. In the U.S. various retailers are offering DVD sets that contain the whole season of episodes of popular TV programs -- Friends, Seinfeld, etc. I'd like to find something of a boxed set of full season episodes of Croc Hunter for my kids, but I'm guessing that such a boxed set doesn't exist.

Failing that, I'm wondering what alternatives are available for laying my hands on season episodes that have played on cable in the last few years?

A friend of mine has TiVo. If I asked him to record every episode of Croc Hunter, could he somehow burn a DVD and I'd be able to play it on my home DVD player?

Darius Wey
12-23-2004, 04:18 AM
What's a multisystem?

Ones that are compatible with both PAL and NTSC. I don't think I have a single non-multisystem in my house at the moment. :)

Darius Wey
12-23-2004, 04:22 AM
A friend of mine has TiVo. If I asked him to record every episode of Croc Hunter, could he somehow burn a DVD and I'd be able to play it on my home DVD player?

I don't see why not. It's not a simple process of sticking a file onto a DVD. You'll need to encode it to MPEG-2 and burn it as a video DVD as opposed to a data DVD.

Jason Dunn
12-23-2004, 07:01 AM
Ones that are compatible with both PAL and NTSC. I don't think I have a single non-multisystem in my house at the moment. :)

Isn't that interesting! I've never seen those sold here, or perhaps it's just a feature I've never used and I actually have it... :-)

Darius Wey
12-23-2004, 10:44 AM
Isn't that interesting! I've never seen those sold here, or perhaps it's just a feature I've never used and I actually have it... :-)

I'm sure you would have it if the unit is relatively new, unless these units are sold region-specific. To add to the wonders, all of my DVD players are multi-region capable as well. Wheeee... :P

Lee Yuan Sheng
12-23-2004, 05:21 PM
I'm sure you would have it if the unit is relatively new, unless these units are sold region-specific. To add to the wonders, all of my DVD players are multi-region capable as well. Wheeee... :P

So are mine. DVD writer included. Muhahahahaha!