View Full Version : Create a Story from a Single Still Photo with Photo Story 3

Jason Dunn
12-09-2004, 12:04 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/photostory/tips/create.mspx' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/photostory/tips/create.mspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"You can use the panning and zooming effects built-in to Photo Story 3 for Windows to add life to any of your still photographs. Photo Story 3 automatically assigns a straight path between the start and end positions for a picture, but you have the option to customize the picture motion by selecting a different path between the start and end positions. You can create this customized picture motion by importing the same picture multiple times and then selecting the motion and duration for each copy of the picture and the type and duration of the transitions that occur between the picture copies."</i><br /><br />This is a very creative use of Photo Story 3, created by the Lead Program Manager, Vladimir Rovinsky. I haven't tried this myself, but certainly with an image that has a lot of detail, this would be a great way to explore it.

Philip Colmer
12-09-2004, 10:27 AM
Microsoft are making this just too easy to do :(. Everyone is going to get in on the act! (*)

Power to the people! :)

--Philip

(*) I rest assured in the knowledge that having the tools is one thing ... being able to be creative with them is something completely different. :wink:

aro
12-09-2004, 06:49 PM
Just imagine if we incorporate an audio commentary to this photographic surfing.Beside the fact that I think the panning exemple might be a bit to slow. I just don't want to show this to my brother in law. He might just want to slow-surf on all his trip picture bank...Yaaahhhhnnn!

I've tried this software and if usually I am not really keen with Microsoft free softwares but this time it deserve a thumb up!

aro

encece
12-09-2004, 09:28 PM
I was having the hardest time with the software liscense.

The program installs and runs fine ONCE.

Then it tells me I need a activated windows liscense to run it on subsequent usage. (Toshiba 17" 2.8 P4 Laptop, fairly new with a WinXP Pro Upgrade installed AND ACTIVATED!)

I've been thru TWO MS support reps...who both managed to screw up my pc even more. (Now my PC waits for me to choose a boot location and that process takes about 15 minutes to even get to the point to choose it). I gave up on PhotoStory3 due to this problem...but it is an very nice app. I didnt use it on ONE pic but as a slideshow. Very cool.

Jason Dunn
12-11-2004, 12:27 AM
I was having the hardest time with the software liscense.

Hmm...did you download it with Firefox by chance? If so, go back to the site using IE and follow the steps.

encece
12-11-2004, 12:59 AM
nope. I only use IE. :(

encece
12-11-2004, 12:59 AM
Whenever I want to use it I just reinstall it again. :(

Jason Dunn
12-11-2004, 01:01 AM
Whenever I want to use it I just reinstall it again. :(

Holy crap - that's messed up! I can't fathom how that could possibly happen....do you have problems with any other activation products like MS Office?

encece
12-11-2004, 01:09 AM
Not at all. I even recently installed Windows Media Connect which requires proper activation and that works fine.

Jason Dunn
12-11-2004, 01:11 AM
Not at all. I even recently installed Windows Media Connect which requires proper activation and that works fine.

Then I surmize that you're cursed. Time to break out a headless chicken and do some voodoo! :evilbat:

encece
12-11-2004, 01:17 AM
After the holidays...I'm buying myself a nice big hard-drive to back everything up....then I'm burning off a binch of data for safe keeping and to free up a bunch of space. Once that's complete....I'm reformatting my pc with a clean install of everything. Maybe that will fix my little problem which may eventually turn into a bigger one.

I am also thinging about a media center pc in which case the whole process above wont feel like that much of a waste! :D

Jason Dunn
12-11-2004, 01:18 AM
I am also thinging about a media center pc in which case the whole process above wont feel like that much of a waste! :D

DO IIIIT! DO IIIIT! :lol:

encece
12-11-2004, 01:24 AM
If I find a buyer for my Toshiba 2.8GHz 17 incher "laptop"...it's my next move! :D

Jason Dunn
12-11-2004, 01:26 AM
If I find a buyer for my Toshiba 2.8GHz 17 incher "laptop"...it's my next move! :D

You could always just install it onto that. :D That's what I did with my HP 17" laptop...granted, MCE isn't all that useful on a computer that you shut off when you're not using it. :roll:

encece
12-11-2004, 01:28 AM
I thought it wasnt possible to buy??
How/Where do I get it?
Any recommendations on hardware additions to add video in/out?

Jason Dunn
12-11-2004, 01:30 AM
I think you should post that question in our new MCE forum - I'll answer it later tonight. ;-)

encece
12-11-2004, 01:31 AM
Will do...you better answer soon as now you have my hopes up high! :D

Godsongz
01-03-2005, 07:25 AM
Back to the topic (and bringing it back almost a month later...) I have a question about PS3. Is there any way to save the final wmv file in a format that is playable with Windows Media 9 Mobile, not 10? My slightly aging iPaq 2215 is just itching to play back my photo stories, but WM10M isn't available for it.

Or.. more roundabout but it will still do, is there any way to convert WM10 to WM9 after-the-fact?

Jason Dunn
01-03-2005, 08:00 AM
Is there any way to save the final wmv file in a format that is playable with Windows Media 9 Mobile, not 10?

Nope. Tomorrow I have a story on PPCT and SPT on exactly why that is.

Or.. more roundabout but it will still do, is there any way to convert WM10 to WM9 after-the-fact?

Yup - export the video from Photo Story 3 at a high resolution, say 1024 x 768, then import it in to Windows Movie Maker and export it from there at a Pocket PC-friendly resolution (320 x 240).

Godsongz
01-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Yup - export the video from Photo Story 3 at a high resolution, say 1024 x 768, then import it in to Windows Movie Maker and export it from there at a Pocket PC-friendly resolution (320 x 240).

heheh I was just coming back in to say that I'd found a way to do it... though I used Adobe Premier Elements instead of Windows Movie Maker.

Read the story on PPCT, where you already planning that one or did my question last night spark your interest (or irritation)?

Jason Dunn
01-03-2005, 11:39 PM
Read the story on PPCT, where you already planning that one or did my question last night spark your interest (or irritation)?

Nah, I wrote the bulk of that about a month ago and just got around to publishing it today. :-)