View Full Version : EDIT: EX-Z55, EX-P700 or IXUS 40?

Darius Wey
11-25-2004, 01:39 PM
I was thinking of purchasing the Casio Exilim Pro EX-P700 camera.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with this particular model, or any of Casio's similar Exilim Pro models, and if so, if you could please let me know what you think of it. Ideally, I'd like to get the best out of my purchase, and wouldn't want to be too disappointed in my choice.

Thanks in advance. :)

Jason Dunn
11-25-2004, 07:09 PM
I've always been a bit dubious of Casio cameras, but when I started looking at the wee Exilim Z55, I gained a lot of respect for Casio cameras. I haven't used/seen that exact model, but 6x zoom sure looks sweet. :-)

Lee Yuan Sheng
11-26-2004, 02:45 AM
Well, anything you're looking for in a camera in particular?

Image quality from its predecessor is pretty good, so if it's anything to go by, I think there shouldn't be any surprises in the image quality department.

Casio's main strength is in the software part of the camera. The scene assist modes are numerous, easy to understand, and even give you tips on what to do. In playback mode you can sort your photos by date (so you can see what you took on when), and can even generate a basic photo album within the camera itself!

Darius Wey
11-26-2004, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the responses.

I've seen a number of Casio cameras and have been very happy with their design and performance, which is why I'm considering Casio as my next purchase.

The things I'm looking for in particular are lithium-ion rechargeable battery, a decent optical zoom and decent MPs. I was also very impressed with Casio's camera software set, so that is another reason why I'm considering it. I'm very happy with the specs of the EX-P700, which is why I have my eye on it at the moment. It sounds a little stupid at the moment, but I'd also prefer my next camera to use SD rather than CF, basically due to the tighter integration with my Pocket PCs. ;)

Darius Wey
11-27-2004, 07:41 AM
Okay - I did a bit of "camera-window-shopping" and have changed a few of my thoughts:

The models I'm looking at now are:

Casio Exilim EX-Z55
Casio Exilim Pro EX-P700
Canon IXUS 40 - Also called the PowerShot SD300

I was wondering what people think is the better one of these three. I know the EX-P700 is in its own league as it is a different class of digital camera altogether (when comparing it against the EX-Z55 and IXUS 40). :roll:

Darius Wey
12-01-2004, 02:39 PM
Alright - after extensive neural processing and sleepless nights working out which one to get, I've decided to go with the EX-P700. I'll let you all know when it arrives. I love getting new toys. :)

Jason Dunn
12-01-2004, 03:01 PM
w00t! Post some sample pics and let us know what you think of the camera when you get it!

Darius Wey
12-02-2004, 07:26 AM
w00t! Post some sample pics and let us know what you think of the camera when you get it!

Will do! It's packed with features which I'm looking forward to checking out. :)

Darius Wey
12-12-2004, 12:09 PM

Wheeeeeeeee.... :bday:

It's here. I might write a mini-review and post some pictures when I have the time. Ultimately, I will need a camera to take some pictures of my er...camera. ;)

Christmas has come early. :)

Lee Yuan Sheng
12-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Use some mirrors. =P

Darius Wey
12-15-2004, 01:36 PM
Heh. I think that's a photo opportunity in itself. ;)

Lee Yuan Sheng
12-15-2004, 01:45 PM
Ack, you were in Singapore? Why didn't you say so! =P Where did you buy your camera?

Darius Wey
12-15-2004, 01:59 PM
Ack, you were in Singapore? Why didn't you say so! =P Where did you buy your camera?

Heh. Been reading PPCT eh? I didn't know you lived in Singapore. :)

Anyway, I got it from Cathay. I decided to give Sim Lim and Orchard a miss this year. :P

Lee Yuan Sheng
12-15-2004, 06:21 PM
That's not a bad place, though my favourite shops are in SLS and Funan.

Darius Wey
01-31-2005, 03:27 PM
I was a little busy the last month so I didn't get much of a chance to play around with the EX-P700. But I've made up on lost time and have been snapping shots repeatedly as of late - here's one of the pictures: it's a macro of a few leaves in my backyard. :) (I resized it to 800 x 600, just to cut down on loading time).

http://img198.exs.cx/img198/8547/leaves800x6001ha.jpg

I've never looked back since I made the purchase. If anyone wants a high-end camera that's small in size, I highly recommend the Casio Exilim Pro EX-P700. It's joy! :D

[embedded image changed to a link - JD]

Lee Yuan Sheng
01-31-2005, 05:19 PM
Very green. Did you do any post processing?

Darius Wey
01-31-2005, 05:26 PM
Very green. Did you do any post processing?

Not unless resizing counts. :)

I intentionally enhanced the green tones in my camera settings for this shot. I'll upload some more here (http://darius.gallery.fotopic.net/) when I get the chance. :D

Jason Dunn
01-31-2005, 06:31 PM
But I've made up on lost time and have been snapping shots repeatedly as of late..

Wow, that's some awesome detail! Cool pic!

Lee Yuan Sheng
01-31-2005, 07:06 PM
Well, not to be a wet blanket and all, but at that size you can't really tell a camera's resolving ability..

Jason Dunn
01-31-2005, 11:37 PM
Well, not to be a wet blanket and all, but at that size you can't really tell a camera's resolving ability..

Resolving ability? What's that?

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-01-2005, 08:25 AM

My bad, shouldn't have dropped so many words. =P I meant that at 800x600 you cannot determine the equipment's ability to resolve the detail in a scene.

Darius Wey
02-01-2005, 01:55 PM

My bad, shouldn't have dropped so many words. =P I meant that at 800x600 you cannot determine the equipment's ability to resolve the detail in a scene.

I might provide links to the full size resolution if I get around to it. To tell you the truth though, I haven't got round to taking pictures at the full 7.2MP specification yet. Most of my pictures I've kept at 1600x1200.