View Full Version : Ink Saver - Worth It?

Jason Dunn
11-10-2004, 09:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.jakeludington.com/archives/000444.html' target='_blank'>http://www.jakeludington.com/archives/000444.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"I recently started active promotions of Ink Saver on the site and in the Digital Lifestyle newsletter after having several different conversations with people close to the photo printing industry. It's estimated that the cost per page for printing a 4x6 photo in full color is about $0.70 cents, including paper. Regular 8x11 sheets of paper printed in color are significantly cheaper, running about $0.15 per page, but still not cheap. In most instances, sending your print job elsewhere would save you money over the factory default settings. If you are using an inkjet printer, you are paying too much per page."</i><br /><br />I read Jake's editorial with a great degree of interest, because ink being as expensive as it is (I don't buy third party ink), saving ink seems like a good plan. I can't help but be suspicious of this though - 50% less ink and the photo looks just as good? Seems too good to be true. Has anyone tried out a product like this? What are the results like?

Chris Gohlke
11-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Maybe it is just me, but I don't get the idea of home photo printers for a majority of users. Digital photo kiosks are pretty common these days. If I need to print photos, I can go 2 blocks and get great prints for less than the cost of the ink and paper at home, and with no initial investment.

Jason Dunn
11-10-2004, 03:49 PM
Maybe it is just me, but I don't get the idea of home photo printers for a majority of users. Digital photo kiosks are pretty common these days. If I need to print photos, I can go 2 blocks and get great prints for less than the cost of the ink and paper at home, and with no initial investment.

We've had this discussion SO many times...&lt;sigh> Some people prefer the freedom and flexibility of printing their images at home - picking the paper, tweaking the output, and not having to get in the car and drive someplace just to get a couple 4x6 prints.

Let's keep this focused on the topic of ink saver software, not on why someone would print photos at home please. ;-)

Lee Yuan Sheng
11-16-2004, 05:58 AM
Give it a try and let us know? My initial impression is that this sounds like a bad idea though.