View Full Version : Older TV: Hi-fi out vs Selected Out

ctmagnus
11-09-2004, 09:56 PM
We have an older (c 1990) ~32" RCA TV here that has A/V connections on the back. The audio outs consist of Hi-fi Out and Selected Out. What's the difference?

Pic, if you're interested. (http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/media/users/89/TV%20Connxns.jpg)

We had a small stereo hooked up to it via the stereo's aux in as the stereo's speakers sound much better than the TVs, and the TV volume and stereo volume were indepenent via the connction the stereo was connected to. Unfortunately, I don't know which audio out the stereo was connected to as I didn't do it and when we moved the TV this time, the cables were ripped out before I could see where they were connected.

that_kid
11-09-2004, 10:46 PM
The Hi-Fi output is just the audio, usually (on my rca) the Hi-Fi out can't be adjusted by the volume control on your remote. It's used to send signals directly to your pre-amp/receiver and have the volume controlled there. With the selected out you can control the volume from the tv remote as well as use SRS and whatever other sound enhancements are built into your tv.

ctmagnus
11-09-2004, 11:07 PM
8)

Thx!