View Full Version : Divx Back from the Dead: FlexPlay DVDs from Amazon

Jason Dunn
11-08-2004, 04:21 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00068RELO/qid%253D1097863274/sr%253D11-1/ref%253Dsr%255F11%255F1/102-1985046-1506551' target='_blank'>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00068RELO/qid%253D1097863274/sr%253D11-1/ref%253Dsr%255F11%255F1/102-1985046-1506551</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Flexplay is a new kind of DVD that offers the watch-anytime, take-anywhere convenience of a DVD you buy, at a price comparable to a DVD rental--without the hassles of returns or late fees. Flexplay DVDs work in all standard DVD players, with the same picture quality, surround sound, and other features of a regular DVD. There is no special setup or configuration required! Flexplay DVDs are "activated" when you open the vacuum-sealed package (inside the yellow-topped Flexplay sleeve). Once the package is opened, you have 48 hours to watch your DVD--as many times as you choose! Unopened Flexplay DVDs stay fresh in the package for about a year. So you decide when to watch."</i><br /><br />Wasn't anyone paying attention to <a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1040-227194.html">what happened to Divx?</a> I don't think there's a future for technology like this - I think that DVD rental services like Netflix and Zip are filling the gap until we have fully digital delivery of DVDs (which will take longer to go mass-market than people think). Survey time!

Felix Torres
11-08-2004, 05:27 PM
I see no reason why this won't fly; as long as the price is reasonable.
Say, $3-4.
(At $5 it gets iffy.)
The convenience factor alone should be worth it.
Unlike the original DIVX it doesn't require a special player nor does it phone home. So there is no privacy violation.
And a one year shelf-life is good.
You just need to remember that the alternative is a rental, not a buy. And this is a one-way shipment deal so the costs *should* be lower.

The idea of ordering up a dozen DVD rentals to carry you over a few months with no worries about when you start watching isn't bad at all.
Its no different than the terms for On-demand viewing except its not on a wire or dish. You watch what you want when you want.

Okay, now; what is so freaking offensive about this tech?
DIVX, I could (barely) understand the paranoia around the phone-home activation feature, but this is harmless.

Its a rental. And an adjunt to sales, not a replacement.
Profit margins will be lower than for sales, but it'll bring in viewers that would never think of buying.
So, unless you own stock in Blockbuster, this is *good* news.
I'd buy a dozen for my mother to watch at her convenience right now if the catalog included stuff she likes...

James Fee
11-08-2004, 05:38 PM
Well I like to own my music and movies. I guess if you feel audio subscriptions are a good way to go, this makes sense....

Jason Dunn
11-08-2004, 06:47 PM
I think it's environmentally wasteful - that's my biggest ding against it.

Felix Torres
11-08-2004, 08:10 PM

Fair 'nough.
Although, me, I'd start with stuff that actually generates waste *now* rather than worry about a niche product that may or not generate any net waste...

As for owning vs buying, well...
Unless you're a professional athlete, even the independently wealthy tend to consider what they spend money on.
And some things are amusing on a short term basis only.
Me, I generally put movies in three categories: worth owning, worth viewing but not owning, and not worth a minute of lifespan.

As in: LoTR extended edition, worth buying; Sky Captain, worth watching once; Day After Tomorrow, too stupid to even consider.

Ditto with music.
Some stuff is worth listening for a while but if you buy it, sooner or later you'll find yourself wondering "What was I thinking!".

Given the amount of business Blockbuster makes, it seems that most people out there do the same.

dean_shan
11-08-2004, 11:42 PM

Same here. Do we really need more 'convenience' junk filling the landfills?

Chris Gohlke
11-09-2004, 02:43 AM
$4.99 each on Amazon, plus shipping (or free Super Saver over $25). I just don't see the marginal extra convience worth the extra price. The only people I see it worthwhile for are those that live quite a distance from any rental outfit and don't want the recuring expense of a Netflix type deal

I buy a lot of DVD's but most people dont realize you can also "rent" them for free from the public library. I have been getting a few movies a week that way.