View Full Version : Here's Why Samsung is Going to Rule the Digital Universe

Jason Dunn
11-08-2004, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6160807/site/newsweek/' target='_blank'>http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6160807/site/newsweek/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Lee Jong Jin, 51, is no couch potato. But lounging in his apartment overlooking the mountains of Seoul, the international trader has little reason to leave his sofa. As he watches an interactive game show, he uses the remote to send in answers. In a corner of the 50-inch plasma screen, he can link to his online bank, or control his air conditioner. Lee is one of thousands of Koreans involved in trials of Samsung Electronics' Home Network, which allows digital products to talk to each other. If Samsung has its way, millions around the world will be running their homes—from the comfort of their couch—within a few years."</i><br /><br />This article is a little over a month old, but it's a fantastic read - it delves into the cultural and corporate psychology that has shaped Samsung into the Sony-crushing giant that it's quickly becoming. I admire Samsung a great deal, and own quite a few Samsung products. They have the R&D muscle and innovation of Sony, without the "If it's not invented at Sony, we won't use it" mentality that has been the cause of so many fumbles from the Japanese giant.

Gary Sheynkman
11-08-2004, 10:20 PM
Samsung rules...especially their phones 8)

James Fee
11-09-2004, 07:27 PM
Well maybe until the Chinese electronics companies get moving overseas. They will do to Samsung, what they did to Sony. How long it will take, I'm not sure, but not as long as it took Samsung.

In the end, it will mean cheaper and better electronics for us all.

Felix Torres
11-10-2004, 01:56 AM
Well maybe until the Chinese electronics companies get moving overseas. They will do to Samsung, what they did to Sony. How long it will take, I'm not sure, but not as long as it took Samsung.

In the end, it will mean cheaper and better electronics for us all.

That's an easy guess since they're already doing it. :wink:

The chinese have no intention of being purveyors of $30 dvd players forever, hence their moves "upstream" with stuff like the FVD spec.
Their biggest challenge is marketing; getting a recognizable brand to attach to the hardware.
I'm guessing they'll go buy a "legacy" brand like Thomson did when they picked up RCA and GE. Maybe Polaroid, maybe zenith or Curtis-Mathis.

Or, maybe, maybe they'll buy up Apple... :twisted:

(Considering the pods are already chinese...)

James Fee
11-10-2004, 04:45 AM
I'm guessing they'll go buy a "legacy" brand like Thomson did when they picked up RCA and GE. Maybe Polaroid, maybe zenith or Curtis-Mathis.
mmmm, maybe Motorola. Those old Motorola TV's were something... ;)

Felix Torres
11-10-2004, 01:51 PM
mmmm, maybe Motorola. Those old Motorola TV's were something... ;)

Could be.
Isn't Moto the dominant cell-phone player in China?
Could be wrong; I don't follow cell-phone tech.
The day has only so many hours, even when you don't need to sleep... :twisted: