View Full Version : HELP! Pictures on SD currupted!!

Andy Manea
11-02-2004, 04:53 PM
HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!

I tried to download the last pictures and videos from my SD card to the computer using an external card reader. I was able to preview them on the camera before that, but during the download ACDSee crashed on me .. and afterwards some of the pics got long strings of strange symbols instead of the regular names (IMG0001 etc.), and the videos turned into empty folders, and I can't open any of the videos or pics, neither can I copy them because something caused a copy protection. I don't know what to do. Too scared to put the card into the camera because then I may loose everything or ruin the cam.
The thing is, the stuff on the card is really REALLY important!!!

Can anyone here tell me what to do? I am really desperate!!!

Suhit Gupta
11-02-2004, 05:10 PM
Well, at some point you are going to have to risk it an either put it in your computer or your camera. I would try the computer again but open it up in Explorer and backup the files you have there first. I would also recommend rebooting the computer just to force a reset of memory content in case ACDSee if stuff running as a rogue process.

Once you have a backup of what you have, at least you can move forward by trying a few things, like analyzing what is on the card now. Plus see if ACDSee has kept a backup copy of your files before it munjed them (no idea how it would do that but there may be a recover option?!?).

Sorry to hear about the troubles. :(

Suhit

Suhit Gupta
11-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Oh, do you have a different card reader or different computer to try the SD card on? Maybe you can try it on a different machine to perhaps get different results. :?

Suhit

Andy Manea
11-04-2004, 04:00 PM
Suhit - I had tried to copy everything through the Explorer before but the files were already ruined. Or so I thought. After two days of avoiding any decision of what to do, I finally was brave enough to try reading the SD card through the Sandisc cruzer, and IT WORKED. Yey! It was the card reader !! Thank God!

Thanks for the help :razzing:

Suhit Gupta
11-04-2004, 04:14 PM
No problem, I am happy it worked.

Suhit

Janak Parekh
11-08-2004, 08:18 PM
How old is your card reader? An interesting point is that old SD card readers have trouble reading high capacity (e.g., > 256MB) SD cards -- they appear corrupt even though they're not.

--janak