View Full Version : TiVo and ReplayTV Cave-in to Hollywood Pressure

Suhit Gupta
11-02-2004, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/archives/000588.php' target='_blank'>http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/archives/000588.php</a><br /><br /></div><i>"In a sign of things to come, TiVo and ReplayTV in future product releases (as early as Spring 2005) will support the movie, cable, and broadcast industries' proposal to recognize copy protection technology placed on content which will limit the way and frequency users can view stored recordings. Obviously, the move is to satisfy the industries worries and help the development of on-demand broadband content. Unfortunately, consumers are the last ones who will get any satisfaction out of the deal. Furthermore, the industries are imposing that similar measures be taken for any type of device that can record television shows, including personal computers – especially Media Center PCs."</i><br /><br />However, it looks like none of the groups involved have settled on a suitable limit control scheme for copy protected work. One group has recommended a limit of 90 minutes of copy time while another says that the copy limit be removed and instead there will be a 24 hour viewing limit, and yet another says they should allow unlimited viewing within a seven-day period. I guess time will tell as to which scheme gets picked.

Fitch
11-03-2004, 12:06 AM
FFS, what're they gonna stop me from using my VCR, now, too? Do that many more people record and copy movies off TV more than they did 5 years ago with VCRs? I mean, COME ON.

mcsouth
11-03-2004, 02:16 AM
Unbelievable!!!!! 8O

I can understand and appreciate the concern about protecting their content - all the more reason to move to some sort of subscription model, in my mind. The time restrictions that are mentioned in this article are completely ridiculous - do the people making these decisions not lead lives like the rest of the population?

I will frequently tape a show on my VCR that I won't have time to watch until several days or even weeks later, simply due to a busy lifestyle (3 kids with afterschool activities can do that to you...). The thought that I will only have 24 hours to watch a show I recorded, or that I have to watch it uninterrupted once started does not fit my reality, so the simple solution is.....no TiVo or ReplayTV for me. How many other folks will feel the same way?

I have intended to build media PC with PVR capabilities to provide more capabilities - streaming content to any TV in the household, for example, so I guess I'd better get on it so that I can get unrestricted hardware and software before these restrictions get built in. Hopefully, as long as I don't upgrade after that, I will be able to avoid this for a while....

Jason Dunn
11-03-2004, 05:24 AM
There's a huge battle brewing, and I think the results will be rather shocking...

ctmagnus
11-03-2004, 05:59 AM
^ Your 2000th post! Congrats! ^

Mojo Jojo
11-03-2004, 01:45 PM
I think its about time this stuff got some publicity as it has been under the covers for far too long. This isn't new stuff and I fear however that the moment to effect change in the battle has already past.

The companies have already caved, MS? Nope. TiVo? Nope. DVR makers? Nope. Sony? JVC? Pioneer? Nope. HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, ABC, NBC, Disney? Self destructing DVDs, nuff said. These are just a few but there is no big voice left to help effect change and what is left is the consumer who are too dependent on content to actually draw the hard line at this point.

Advertisments are dying, they have been for awhile and without that cash support content providers are looking for additional ways into your wallet. They are even talking about placing real billboards and flash like ads into video games that update when your connected to the internet (just like commercials). Captured content through these means limits your options but perserves theirs.

In a way large content companies are following evolution theory. They have grown so large that they must continue to 'eat' everything around them to their own detriment. Eventually they get so big, alter their enviroment so much that they do not survive. If you need a real life example, listen to radio these days. There is a reason they are drawing less of a crowd.

Will these companies be gone tomorrow? Of course not... but you don't think your going to see *LESS* commercials now because of these changes to protect their ad dollars do you? Last tidbit then I am done. A half hour show now contains about 8-10 minutes of commercials. Almost a third. So what are you really watching these days?