View Full Version : Canon 580EX Flash

ntractv
10-26-2004, 10:36 PM
I was thinking about buying the new Canon Flash 580EX, but, I've read that it is better suited for the 20D and 1DS. I have the 10D and was wondering what the pros and cons where if I went with the 580EX or just went with the 550EX? Any help appreciated.

Suhit Gupta
10-26-2004, 10:46 PM
BTW, slightly OT - why even go for the 550? Why not go for the 440? Are you planning to do a lot of trick photography?

Suhit

ntractv
10-27-2004, 12:08 AM
BTW, slightly OT - why even go for the 550? Why not go for the 440? Are you planning to do a lot of trick photography?

Suhit

Please forgive my ignorance as to your point regarding trick photography, I've been out of photography for more years than I care to recite here. Im not one for the latest and greatest, but, I just want to be prepared for and also experiment with those accessories that will help build my photographic skills. Does the 580EX have some enhacements that the earlier flashes do not have. Right now I have a Quantary QTB 7500A that I bought for my A2E, due to money constraints, but, now I would like a decent flash.

butch
10-27-2004, 04:42 PM
I was thinking about buying the new Canon Flash 580EX, but, I've read that it is better suited for the 20D and 1DS. I have the 10D and was wondering what the pros and cons where if I went with the 580EX or just went with the 550EX? Any help appreciated.

The 580EX support E-TTL II which is only compatible with a few camera right now (20D, 1Ds MkII..).
E-TTL II add a few new feature, one I remember is that it know the sensor size of the camera and adjust the internal "zoom" in the flash automaticaly.
With your 10D it will just have a little more power than the 550EX, but will take longer to recharge it's capacitors.
But if you think you may upgrade your 10D it may worth it as future camera should support E-TTL II.