View Full Version : Sound Isolation Vs. Noise Canceling

Suhit Gupta
10-25-2004, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.designtechnica.com/article5759.html' target='_blank'>http://news.designtechnica.com/article5759.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"A recent study found that sound isolation earphones do a better job of reducing the outside noise signal than noise canceling earphones. A recent study compared the performance of Shure sound isolating earphones against three models of noise-canceling headphones and found that the sound isolating design was more effective at reducing the level of a broadband noise signal. The tests were conducted in accordance with recognized industry standards for measuring the noise attenuation capabilities of hearing protection devices and noise-canceling headphones."</i><br /><br />The study results revealed that the E3c with foam sleeves was the best performer as it reduced noise by 10 - 27 decibels more than even the best-performing noise-canceling model tested. Really interesting study. Read the article for additional benefits of sound isolating earphones.

Neil Enns
10-25-2004, 10:30 PM
Does anyone else here have problems with noise cancelling headsets? They always make my brain feel... odd. It's not exactly a headache, but my brain definitely realises something isn't the way it should be. It's kind of like pressure being applied to it or something. It's bad enough that I can't use the things.

Maybe I'm just a freak? :)

Neil

Jason Dunn
10-25-2004, 10:59 PM
Does anyone else here have problems with noise cancelling headsets? They always make my brain feel... odd.

I don't use 'em myself, but I've read that there are some health concerns with them - if memory serves, the way they work is to generate white noise that cancels out the noise external to the headphones...but on some level, I'm sure that your ears/brain perceive this noise, and it's probably some seriously confusing sensory input. 8O

ctmagnus
10-25-2004, 11:45 PM
I've been considering some noise-cancelling headphones, but I guess I'll go for something like the Shures if I get anything. I have enough perception problems as it is; I don't need any assistance in that area :)

Suhit Gupta
10-26-2004, 12:40 AM
I have used both. The noise canceling headphone are my Sony N series and when I first tried them, they felt very bizarre. However, I only use them on airplanes (or if I need quiet in my office when there is a really loud meeting going on around me - rarely because I am typically the one making all the noise ;-)). These are over the ear headphones. The noise reducing headphones are in-ear earbuds. The later are more comfortable for daily wear because the noise canceling do feel weird after having them on for a really long time. But seriously, I don't mind either anymore.

Suhit

Felix Torres
10-26-2004, 02:30 PM
I have a pair of noise-cancelling headphones and two kinds of (cheap) noise-reducing ear-buds (KOSS and SONY).
I used to use the N/C headphones on planes but I've switched to the buds cause they do the job as well at a whole less bulk.

I have a friend who swears by the BOSE n/c headphones, which is probably a good thing, considering how much they cost...
Ditto for the E3C's; at those prices, they'd *better* be good.

Just keep in mind that the $20 Koss "plug" earbuds work reasonably well, especially if you're just listening to compressed digital music. Very good bass.
The $50 Sony earbuds sound better overall and have better highs, though.
Both can mute aircraft noise almost completely.

Phoenix
10-27-2004, 02:15 AM
I'd much rather have noise-reducing earbud headphones myself. I've been wanting to try out a pair of Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pros. These are the ultimate in noise-reducing headphones, but they're VERY expensive. By the time you get ear impressions made to have a pair of these made for you, you're looking at $1000, which is ridiculous, but they're the best money can buy. They look really nice.

Click here: UE-10 Pro (www.ultimateears.com/UE-10_PRO.htm)

klinux
10-27-2004, 06:26 AM
I have used noise-cancelling headphones and they are fine. I have not experienced the problem Jason mentioned but there is definitely a correction there. The NC headphones are not generating white noise. They are generating a sound that is same in amplitude but exactly opposite in phase. The result is it actively cancels the offending noise e.g. airplane engine noise while letting the desirable sound e.g. your music through.

However, most of the time I find myself wearing a pair of $1.99 earplugs. :)

Jason Dunn
10-28-2004, 06:01 AM
The NC headphones are not generating white noise. They are generating a sound that is same in amplitude but exactly opposite in phase. The result is it actively cancels the offending noise e.g. airplane engine noise while letting the desirable sound e.g. your music through.

I used the wrong term, but the basic principal is the same: the headphones generate noise and that noise cancels out the incoming noise, but some people may experience side-effects when using headphones like that. I've never used them before, so I can't say one way or the other, but I do believe for some people it may be a valid concern.

Darius Wey
10-28-2004, 06:17 AM
Does anyone else here have problems with noise cancelling headsets? They always make my brain feel... odd.

I don't use 'em myself, but I've read that there are some health concerns with them - if memory serves, the way they work is to generate white noise that cancels out the noise external to the headphones...but on some level, I'm sure that your ears/brain perceive this noise, and it's probably some seriously confusing sensory input. 8O

This is a confusing topic to discuss but hopefully I can inform you all of how the brain perceives "hearing". For those who have been through a hearing test before, you may be familiar with some of the terms I will discuss. I'll try to make this as simple as possible. ;)

If noise-cancelling headphones serve to cancel out the external noise, the immediate thought that would pop into your mind would be that you wouldn't be able to hear it. In actuality, there are two ways with which transmission of sound can occur. One is via a "conductive" pathway, which operates by way of the auditory canal (through your ear). I won't go into all the nitty-gritty medical details with this. The other is via a "vibratory" pathway, which operates via vibrations in the skull stimulating the cochlea (the cochlea, in simple terms, is one of the mechanisms which help you perceive sound). So you have two mechanisms for hearing - one via the ear, and one via the bone. If you block out the external sound and generate a new "noise", you will perceive this change and your brain would accommodate for it. However, on the outside, there is always a chance for some sort of vibratory transmission of sound through the skull and to the cochlea, and thus neural input into your brain. So simply, you are receiving two kinds of input, and in both cases, your brain is trying to accommodate for this. While many people can accommodate for this, some people can't, so I think this is where the health issue arises. But bear in mind that what I have discussed doesn't occur in all cases. I have presented the theory, but whether or not it is the mechanism by which NC headphones can cause health issues...well, that's something else. :)