View Full Version : Chasing Digital Music's 'Codec Killers'

James Fee
10-22-2004, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/Chasing+digital+musics+codec+killers/2100-1027_3-5414121.html?tag=nefd.lede' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/Chasing+digital+musics+codec+killers/2100-1027_3-5414121.html?tag=nefd.lede</a><br /><br /></div>"<i>Although rare, the "codec killer" phenomenon is a potentially serious one for digital music backers. Just as the music industry had to assure consumers that the sound quality of CDs was as good as that of vinyl records, digital music companies must ultimately convince online music buyers that computer files provide a listening experience comparable to that of CDs. Even just a few purchases of songs that wind up with defects, ranging from muddy sound to audible "artifacts"--sounds that aren't supposed to be in the recording--could turn off buyers, analysts say. "I think people's tastes are being degraded by exposure to 128 kilobit per second MP3s," David Ranada, technical editor of Sound &amp; Vision Magazine said. "If that's all you hear in your acoustical life, and never go to a concert, you'll never know what real music sounds like.</i>"<br /><br />I think this is one the the biggest problems with iTunes. 128kbps AAC tracks just don't sound as full as the MP3 files I've ripped myself on my iPod. I'm sure in time Apple will improve AAC, but there is an easy fix today. Either increase the bit rate, or offer lossless AAC downloads to those who want them.

Felix Torres
10-22-2004, 04:17 PM
The solution to this problem is no secret; lossless codecs.
For do-it-yourself encoding it's easy, if tedious; re-rip into a new, bigger hard drive.
With 200 Gb drives under a $100 this is feasible for any home-based system.
For portable audio you not only need support for the lossless format in the player, but also the affordable drives, and *that* is still about two years away for folks addicted to 1.8" or smaller drives.

When it comes to pre-ripped music, WMA seems to have a bit of an edge in that most of the WMA sales are in 160Kbps or better formats.
But it is time for all of us to start ragging on the vendor of our choice to offer lossless d/ls before you start investing large sums into lossy music.
All it takes is for one vendor to listen.
As soon as somebody offers a full catalog of lossless digital music, the other will fall in line.

So go gettem!

10-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Couldn't agree more. You're paying almost the same for a fraction of the quality. Plus, the industry is saving oodles of cash on not printing CD's. People are just mesmerised by the ease of use, getting only the songs they like, the hip-factor.

Tom W.M.
10-23-2004, 04:05 AM
I agree: lossless codecs are the answer.

I, for one, will be staying out of the online music market until lossless tracks are available (preferably from iTunes).