View Full Version : AnandTech: "Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005: Feature and Performance Investigation"

Jason Dunn
10-19-2004, 05:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.anandtech.com/multimedia/showdoc.aspx?i=2240' target='_blank'>http://www.anandtech.com/multimedia/showdoc.aspx?i=2240</a><br /><br /></div><i>"In between MCE's maiden launch and today, Microsoft released a much-needed update to the OS: MCE 2004, which provided bug fixes, performance enhancements and introduced a few new tweaks and features to the OS. But it was clear that MCE 2004 was not an example of perfection, rather an example of the direction Microsoft was going in. There were still numerous features missing from the MCE equation, things like HDTV and multiple tuner support were left unaddressed, only to be serviced in the latest version of Microsoft's Media Center OS - MCE 2005."</i><br /><br />This is a fantastic walkthrough of Media Center Edition 2005 - it's insanely detailed, and completely destroya an article that I was working on. I been fighting with an install of Media Center 2005 for the past few days...installing it on what you might ask? Wait and see - I'll post some pictures tomorrow. ;-)

James Fee
10-19-2004, 05:14 AM
I just love the GUI on MCE 2005. It could be the best looking Microsoft interface yet. The combination of MCE and PMC just seems like the perfect solution for people on the go.

10-19-2004, 06:06 AM
"...installing it on what you might ask?" Ouh, what a cliffhanger...

Would be cool to be able to upgrade a regular PC just to get the functionality of the (Xbox) extender. Or can the extenders browse media on a regular PC? My guess is that the extender is a thin client running a remote desktop session on the MCE PC, meaning the UI is not running in the extender.

Felix Torres
10-19-2004, 03:20 PM
"...installing it on what you might ask?" Ouh, what a cliffhanger...

Would be cool to be able to upgrade a regular PC just to get the functionality of the (Xbox) extender. Or can the extenders browse media on a regular PC? My guess is that the extender is a thin client running a remote desktop session on the MCE PC, meaning the UI is not running in the extender.

The answer is yes, sort-of.
The OEM version of Media Center will install on anything.
So you can upgrade your existing box to WMC2005 OEM for $125.
But some hardware needs drivers that may not be in the OEM edition; caveat emptor. That is why there is no retail version.
ATI brags about its support for *system builders* on their web site; that support may not go as far as hobbyists.
Funny thing, though; *now* they are selling a standalone disk for do-it-yourselfers working with WMC2004, which was well-nigh impossible to legally get separate from the hardware.
A bit late for us with A-I-W cards.&lt;sigh>

As for the extenders:

one: Media Center Extenders are full-bidirectional consoles; they not only stream pre-existing files, like Digital Media Receivers, but they also stream live video and audio off your Media Center tuners or the net. And let you control the PVR rfunctions remotely.The XBOX kit ($79 coming mid-november) will let you do all this too. Sometime next year, there will be a software-only implementation for XP PCs. All this needs a Media Center PC as a back-end server.

two: Windows Media Connect is a UPnP/AV server that installs as a service in any version of Windows XP to stream out audio, video, photos...
Not clear at this point if the Media Center extenders can work with Connect, giving up the live-TV and remote control features.

three: expect extra functionality from products like Snapstream and ATI's Catalyst very soon, for non-media center PCs. There is definitely a big gaping hole in the market for a product that links the Media Center Extender with non-media center PCs. Will anybody rise up to the challenge?
We'll have to stay tuned, no?

gibb193a
10-19-2004, 05:53 PM
Question about Windows Media Connect: With the correct device connected to your stereo, will this allow WMP to control what is played on your home audio system? I know that there are already receivers out there that sort-of do this except they usually require you to install their own software to stream the music from your PC.

gibb193a
10-19-2004, 09:57 PM
Never mind. I just read the new post from Jason. Great information on this and the MCE Extenders. Now I just need to figure out what I want!

10-20-2004, 07:05 AM
Thaks Felix. So I guess it's the Windows Media Connect thingy I should be watching out for.

Felix Torres
10-20-2004, 03:59 PM
Thaks Felix. So I guess it's the Windows Media Connect thingy I should be watching out for.

You're welcome.
I gave that a try but it seems my HP En5000 doesn't use UPnP/AV.
Word is, the Gateway connected-DVD player does and it can be had for around $80...

gibb193a
10-20-2004, 06:59 PM
Okay, Jason. It's 2 days after :wink:. You said pictures?