View Full Version : Apple to announce 4G iPod with color display, report confirms

James Fee
10-08-2004, 05:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0410photoipod.html' target='_blank'>http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0410photoipod.html</a><br /><br /></div>"<i>The new iPod's form factor will be identical to the existing 4G iPods, sources report, but will be two millimeters thicker than the current 40GB iPod and marginally heavier. The 2-inch color screen is identical in size to other iPods, but will sport a higher resolution for photo viewing. However, the new device's real shining feature will be its video-out port, which will enable users to tote their photo galleries with them, ready to be plugged into any television for big-screen viewing.Sources indicate that Apple will market the new photo iPod as being capable of storing 20,000 music tracks and 25,000 photos. As an added bonus for music fans, album artwork will be displayed on screen when it's available for a selected track.</i>"<br /><br />Hmm, interesting news, but does this mean Apple plans to port iPhoto to Windows? No mention when it will be available, but the Photo iPod is expected to retail for $499.

Mojo Jojo
10-08-2004, 05:59 PM
(Watches from the stands during the third race of the day. The runners are out at full gallop and the finish line is fast approaching, the two dollar trifecta tickets clenched in his hands.)

"Come on... come on!!! Almost there!"

(The announcer comes on as the contenders pass the last turn)

"'Christmas Rush' is coming up in the outside lane followed closely by 'New Year Release'... 'Joybee' is making a push but doesn't look like they are ready to spring the trap after turn three. 'Apple Core' is running a strong race with a push to the front but does he have the legs for the finish line? The pack is in full chase ready to pounce and the jockey is looking back........."

ale_ers
10-08-2004, 07:00 PM
Sounds a bit like a Portable Media Center minus the video. Will they do a better job than the Windows Camp?

On this one, I think Windows is actually in the lead because they have the experience of Media Center Edition. Although the ipod will be smaller.

Kent Pribbernow
10-08-2004, 07:10 PM
Apple's pricing is off, as usual. I'm fairly certain Hard drive based MP3 players with color screens are available for $299.

James Fee
10-08-2004, 07:14 PM
Apple's pricing is off, as usual. I'm fairly certain Hard drive based MP3 players with color screens are available for $299.With 60 gig drives? 8O

Kent Pribbernow
10-08-2004, 07:16 PM
Apple's pricing is off, as usual. I'm fairly certain Hard drive based MP3 players with color screens are available for $299.With 60 gig drives? 8O

No, I mean they should offer a $299 model with lesser storage capacity.

Mojo Jojo
10-08-2004, 07:20 PM

No, I mean they should offer a $299 model with lesser storage capacity.

Isn't that the earlier rumor that Apple was going to make a Flash Memory type device?

James Fee
10-08-2004, 07:58 PM
No, I mean they should offer a $299 model with lesser storage capacity.Oh, you got me excited there for a second. :oops:

Phoenix
10-09-2004, 04:03 AM
Wasn't Steve once quoted as saying, "It's all about the music, stupid."?

Apparently it isn't just about the music anymore.

Right, stupid? :lol:

Soon it will be about the video as well. Just as I thought, months ago.

I suppose Apple is proceeding carefully. First music, then photos and album art, then video. Personally, if Apple wants to put color and photo capability in their Ipods, I think they should just go for it and add video capability as well. That's where it's headed, anyway.

I have to say, though, it's exciting to see Apple moving in that direction.

I still think, as I always have, that eventually, Ipods will turn into Apple's long-rumored handheld. The Ipod will soon finally master all media and perhaps even gaming, and along with the huge HDD capacity that continues to grow and that people are used to with their Ipods (which will force competition to respond), along with the data syncing that it can already do to some degree, I believe it will only progress to full handheld functionality (and all the abilities that go with it, like voice recording, etc.). I wouldn't doubt that the screen size will only increase as time goes on to accomodate these functions better (...or not). Then if they added in WiFi and BT, along with a quick way to enter data directly on the device, what a formidable product they would have!

Suhit Gupta
10-10-2004, 09:32 PM
Well, I'll believe it when I see it. There was so much hype a few months ago when the 4G iPod was announced and it was such a bust.

Suhit

Gary Sheynkman
10-11-2004, 12:04 AM
grrrrr

still no line in...radio....ogg....etc etc

go iriver :rock on dude!:

10-11-2004, 06:27 AM
I guess they too have started their photocopiers... ;)