View Full Version : iPod Shortage by Christmas?

James Fee
09-23-2004, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/hardware/0,2000061702,39160416,00.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/hardware/0,2000061702,39160416,00.htm</a><br /><br /></div>"<i> Speaking at a press demonstration of the company's new iMac and other products, Lenior said Apple's Australian channel and customers should benefit from Apple's global decision to increase iPod production capacity, but that demand is so strong it may outstrip supply. "You can find an iPod Mini at the moment," he said."And the 20GB and 40GB iPods are coming back. But if you really want one for Christmas, you should go out and put a deposit on one." Lenior said the orders placed by Apple Australia anticipate a market for "hundreds of thousands" of iPods this holiday season, but that demand could reach "millions." The admission comes after at least one retailer, Bing Lee, recently said it will not advertise iPods for fear of disappointing shoppers. </i>"<br /><br />Not again! How hard is it to get the Chinese to make more? Isn't that the whole purpose of sending them over there to be made?

Felix Torres
09-24-2004, 03:10 AM
"
Not again! How hard is it to get the Chinese to make more? Isn't that the whole purpose of sending them over there to be made?

Uh, the Chinese assemble them; they don't manufacture the components.
It is up to Apple to secure a proper supply of those and get them to the assembly plant in time...
Can't build pods if they don't have the drives or the scroll-pads od decoderchips or...

yada88
09-24-2004, 06:41 AM
Did anyone else find that offensive?

James Fee
09-24-2004, 02:06 PM
Did anyone else find that offensive?Really how so? Isn't the whole purpose of sending the work over to China because they can make them faster, better, cheaper and the parts are already there?

phillypocket
09-24-2004, 03:16 PM
Did anyone else find that offensive?

You know sadly, I didn't initially. However I definitely see your point. As if all of china had the audacity to take the job away from some other more deserving country and then let apple down. Says a bit about western and apple thought. Or maybe a combination of the two.

James Fee
09-24-2004, 04:46 PM
Lighten up guys. Expect more tongue-in-cheek comments about the Chinese, British, French, Texans and Canadians in my posts. The comment arose from an article I read in the paper saying that there were not enough factory workers in China for all the manufacturing jobs caused by the demand for Chinese made goods.

If my post offended you, maybe the internet isn't the place for you.

:roll: &lt;- emoticon added for your benefit