View Full Version : C|NET: "Labels, Microsoft in talks on CD Copying"

Jason Dunn
09-17-2004, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/Labels%2C+Microsoft+in+talks+on+CD+copying/2100-1027_3-5371621.html?tag=nefd.top' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/Labels%2C+Microsoft+in+talks+on+CD+copying/2100-1027_3-5371621.html?tag=nefd.top</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Record labels and Microsoft are in discussions about ways that the next generation of the Windows operating system, code-named Longhorn, can support copy-protected CD technology. The music labels, in large part led by top executives at EMI Group and coordinated through their U.S. and international trade associations, are creating a "wish list" of CD rights protection features they want to see provided or supported by Longhorn. Microsoft, in turn, has provided its own set of guidelines for the labels, without yet promising anything, sources familiar with the situation said."</i><br /><br />In a nutshell, the music labels are asking Microsoft to include support for their various DRM schemes in Longhorn making it secure from the OS level. That could be a very bad thing, but it really depends on what the labels want. Microsoft has told the labels that they will not incorporate anything that is considered hostile to the consumer, but what the labels want is to take away our ability to rip CDs how we want, when we want. This can't be a good thing, so I hope Microsoft stands their ground.

James Fee
09-17-2004, 11:19 PM
I think they will. Nothing will make people either not upgrade or leave Windows than some scheme like that. Microsoft is too smart to let that happen.

mememe
09-18-2004, 12:33 AM
[i] but what the labels want is to take away our ability to rip CDs how we want, when we want. This can't be a good thing, so I hope Microsoft stands their ground.

I'll just buy a Mac then..

Crocuta
09-18-2004, 03:22 AM
That would certainly make me shift to Mac or Linux, but don't underestimate MS's hold on the market. They may well figure they can pull it off, just like the rumor that they're working with Intel to lock down the entire system to eliminate software piracy. And if that's not bad enough, check out this Cringely article in which he suggests that MS is trying to get a new USB standard set that will be tied to the Windows OS. Linux and Mac users would be out of luck.

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20040916.html

Philip Colmer
09-18-2004, 09:17 PM
MS has been there, been burnt and got the scars to remind themselves about it.

Windows Media Centre - remember when DVDs you made on the HP unit could only be played back on THAT particular unit?

Somehow, I don't think they'll want to go down that path again. They surely will know that such a significant change will be a very good reason for people not to upgrade the OS. They've got enough problems on their hands with people not upgrading Office without adding this to their list of woes.

But then, maybe MS isn't too smart sometimes :-)

--Philip

Jason Dunn
09-19-2004, 01:16 AM
...working with Intel to lock down the entire system to eliminate software piracy.

Actually, that really wouldn't bother me at all, although then I'd like to see software licenses become more flexible in terms of offering installations for both desktop and laptop as part of the license.

Suhit Gupta
09-20-2004, 01:36 AM
In my opinion, on the one hand this scheme would be a bad idea (for obvious reasons that have already been pointed out); however, on the other hand, (and I am only playing devil's advocate here) how else can music labels control piracy of music?

Suhit