View Full Version : Neil's Random Video Tip #5: Make a Shot List

Neil Enns
09-15-2004, 07:00 PM
I know, you're saying "man, what kind of whacked vacation did this guy go on? A shot list? Is he insane?". But wait! Hear me out!<br /><br />I'm not talking about a crazy detailed list of shots with actors, camera positions, etc. On our trip we had a crumpled piece of paper from a notepad that lived in the pocket of my shorts. It was really valuable as a reminder of things we wanted to take video of. When we were out driving around and saw something funny or worthwile to tape, we wrote it down so we could come back later and do it.<br /><br />This was really helpful at preventing the camcorder from invading our vacation. Not only could we enjoy a ton of non-camera time, when we did set out to use the camcorder we had a nice list of the things we wanted to video, and could even start piecing together in our head how the final product might look when we got home. It also helped keep track of the b-roll (tip 1) we wanted to get.

arebelspy
09-15-2004, 07:44 PM
I'm loving these tips so far. :D

I know I'll forget them though.. is there a place where they're all being collected so I can bookmark that (a place updated every time you add a new tip)? :D

Thanks,
arebelspy

bryhawks
09-15-2004, 08:40 PM
I love them too - here's what I'm doing: Click 'Discuss this story' under Neil's article, click 'Printable Version' on the right-hand side, and then Save As to your local hard drive.

It's not super-pretty, but it does allow me to retain the content no matter what happens to the web in the future ("The Internet crashed!...")

Neil - keep them up! I especially love hearing how/why you've implemented the tips, not just the tip itself. Helps me put it into perspective.

brntcrsp
09-15-2004, 10:00 PM
agreed, great tips neil! I'd love to see what the end results of all your work!

Neil Enns
09-16-2004, 12:46 AM
Ask and ye shall receive! I made a quick and dirty archive over at http://www.badcasserole.com/videotips/. It's very, uh, ugly, but it gets the job done.

No way will you guys get to see the whole movie :) My wife would never let half the clips see the light of day! But maybe I'll get off my butt and post a short clip or something this weekend.

Neil