View Full Version : Neil's Random Video Tip #4: Shoot From a Different Camera Position

Neil Enns
09-14-2004, 07:00 PM
When you repeat a shot, say to change the distance from the subject (tip 3), change the position of the camera slightly. Move it to the side a bit, or shoot from a lower angle. This will really help cover up jarring jumps when you edit your movie together. If you keep the same camera angle it's nearly impossible to cover up any slight movement of your subject during the editing process.<br /><br />As with tip 3, now that I've read some books on cinematography, I know this is just a basic activity that any director does by default :)

David Horn
09-15-2004, 10:13 AM
Neil - you might want to mention different levels (of height), including the effect that using each one gives. So many times I see home movies where people have shot from waist height, or too high.

Neil Enns
09-15-2004, 04:34 PM
I was hoping "or shoot from a lower angle" covered the different heights in my original tip, but re-reading it I guess it's not super clear. You're absolutely right, you can get some awesome effects simply by shooting from down near the ground looking up, or from on a balcony looking down (or anything in between!)

Neil