View Full Version : New iMac Draws Mixed Opinions

Kent Pribbernow
09-09-2004, 04:00 PM
Soon after Apple introduced the latest incarnation of its consumer desktop, many analysts, journalists, and other pundits began venting their dismay over the new iMac design. "The unit looks tippy...Why no built-in Bluetooth for wireless peripherals?...Why is the optical drive vertical instead of horizontal, something Apple once said was technically inferior?...Why no low-cost model?...Where are the external speakers?" And so on.

This touched a nerve. I too find myself scratching my head in wonder as to why Apple seems to have taken a step backwards with the G5 iMac. But here is what REALLY bothers me about Apple's consumer desktop strategy. Essentially, the iMac is billed as a multimedia powerhouse. A workstation for digital content creation, editing, and playback. Allowing the user to rip music, burn CDs, create photo albums, make home videos, play DVDs and music...all in one little machine. So why is the iMac so crippled at performing those latter functions? One would expect a multimedia machine to do well at playing music or DVDs, right? Why is it that every succeeding generation of the iMac is even more dumbed down than its predecessor?

<!>
My G4 iMac originally shipped with a pair of worthless Lucite boobs that produce tinny sound with extremely low quality audio. Yet even low-budget PCs are often equipped with 2.1 speaker systems (two satellites and a subwoofer) that make any computer sound like a full blown stereo system. Heck, these days you can even pick up a good 5.1 speaker system for around $50. Now Apple has killed the boobs and replaced them instead with...nothing? Just some lousy built-in speakers? What's going on here?

This is where Apple really misses the mark. Constantly dumbing its products down and alienating consumers who want more than just an over glorified laptop. If they're going to stop making speakers to accompany the new iMac, at least bundle some worthy after-market products like JBL's wonderfully designed Creature Speakers (http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.asp?ProdId=CREATUREIIWHT). And how about making the iMac THX certified? This would make the iMac the perfect solution for students cramped away dorms, allowing them to use their PC as an educational tool and entertainment center.

Perhaps I'm wrong here, but I believe the iMac should live up to its promise by offering me a kick ass digital media experience, and that includes really good stereo sound for music and video.

James Fee
09-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Why does the lack of "Apple Speakers" make this a step back? As you say I can go out and buy cheaper, better sounding speakers than Apple could ever include.

Kent Pribbernow
09-09-2004, 05:26 PM
Why does the lack of "Apple Speakers" make this a step back? As you say I can go out and buy cheaper, better sounding speakers than Apple could ever include.

Not quite. Apple uses a mini jack connector on the iMac, or at least they did. I'm not sure if the G5 even has one. :?

Mojo Jojo
09-09-2004, 05:58 PM
The specs state that the input for speakers is a mini-optical jack. Meaning you can connect regular headphones for stereo sound but for 5.1 surrond you will need a speaker system that uses optical in the mini-jack format.

Kent Pribbernow
09-09-2004, 06:00 PM
God I hate that. Why can't Apple just use the standard sized jack like other PC manufacturers?

Mojo Jojo
09-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Then they can't sell you a special set of speakers to use. =)
Yes this is also a pet peeve of mine.

However...

If you go outside Apple you can get adapter cables to send to a reciever or other device that accepts a traditional optical input.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mCFCXCrmKkc/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&cc=02&g=37400&id=morephotos&pi=1&i=158POC15AB&display=L#Tab

It would appear that Sony also uses this type of plug.

Kent Pribbernow
09-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Then they can't sell you a special set of speakers to use. =)
Y

They aren't anymore. So what's the point?

Mojo Jojo
09-09-2004, 06:35 PM
I think that Apple will come up with some third party speakers. In the past they have had companies such as Harman Kardon and their 'Sound Sticks', JBL Creature II Speakers, or Logitech Z680 5.1 Speakers to add to the line up.

I would also imagine a similar set of compatible 'pro-speakers' would come out close to release or just after.

To be honest I didn't like the 'pro-speakers' that shipped with the previous iMac anyways. So to look for the silver lining here I would say if the lack of external speakers saves me 40 bucks of the price... its better then paying 40 bucks more for speakers I don't care for anyways.

(shrugs)

Best I can offer.

Filip Norrgard
09-09-2004, 07:44 PM
Man, I sure hope Apple reads DMT! ;)

dean_shan
09-09-2004, 08:31 PM
I give them props for the design, I just wouldn't ever buy one. I want expandibility in my desktops.

James Fee
09-09-2004, 09:31 PM
I guess it all depends upon how you view computers. I wouldn't bother putting anything more than desktop speakers on any of my computers. I'd rather put the money into my Home Theater system, than in my Office. *shrug* Actually at home, I think I have the sound muted on my desktop.

Kent Pribbernow
09-09-2004, 09:50 PM
I guess it all depends upon how you view computers. I wouldn't bother putting anything more than desktop speakers on any of my computers. I'd rather put the money into my Home Theater system, than in my Office. *shrug* Actually at home, I think I have the sound muted on my desktop.

Bah! You're an old stick in the mud. Haven't you heard...the days of the old beige box PC under your desk is over. PCs are digital hubs now. :)

James Fee
09-09-2004, 09:56 PM
I have one, its called TiVo!

klinux
09-10-2004, 12:53 AM
Not to mention some economics problems too.

For example, the 20" display is $1300. The 20" iMac is $1900. So that means the G5 innards is $600? Do they know how many of those they can sell at $600? Or heck, at $800 or even $1000?

Of course, even if they want to sell a sub-$1000 G5 they know they cannot since they always have problem shipping (even if it is Motorola's, IBM's, Toshiba's, Nvidia's, etc problem).

Or, should all of their display be at least 20% cheaper?

Also, a 5200 Ultra graphic cards that is non-upgradable for an platform that is intensely graphic intensive? You gotta be kidding me!

mclaugh
09-10-2004, 03:12 AM
As an aside, the audio jack is not proprietary. It's a dual function plug that you can purchase a cable for from best buy or rat shack- it's analog if you plug headphones in, and digital is you put the right cable in.
Not the best way to explain it, but the jack is not actually "apple" centric.

On the other points, I do think the new Imac shoots a little low- but people seem to forget that this is their entry level "all in one" mac- it's supposed to be useful in the kitchen, the office, the school classroom, and etcetera, not necessarily a multimedia powerhouse. People will buy it for its looks. (But it would have been nicer if apple gave it a better video card, or 512MB ram standard.)

cny730
09-10-2004, 06:09 PM
I think all of you guys are Apple-hating nerds...
Sorry, just my biased opinion/assumption :)

While I think you all raise good arguments, I think you guys are missing the fundamental truth that no one computer will meet everyone's need's... there's all sorts of compromises that have to be made for a mass produced product... especially when the masses it's produced for is still a relatively small subset of the overall market. Costs have to be kept down...

The article started off making some very valid point about how Apple often cripples their consumer level products, lowing the specs and features to avoid cannibalizing their 'pro' products... sad fact, but true... but no evidence of that in this iMac... even the specs I wish they had increased (like max RAM, cache, video card & video RAM etc) may be more a result of the restrictions of the chasis... hard squeezing all of that into a small inclosure while keeping that G5 running cool.

It would have been nice for them to include bluetooth, 802.llb, solid external speakers etc.. but some of those are add-on's I'd prefer to get myself... customize. And some are extra's that other may rather do without (say low level consumers, educational institutions - preschools, etc..). No one configuration will make everyone happy, so they focused on the core and heart of what they were trying to and succeeded in designing a wonderful product, that can be upgraded to meet most people's individual needs.

Speaking of upgrading... I'm increadibly computer savvy myself, and yet I've almost never upgraded anything beyond a computers memory... an they allow you up upgrade more than that... but for the few people who like to hold on to their hardware for a decade or more, obviously an iMac will not be for them. Apple sells other computers too!

It's so much easier to nit pick something apart, than to see the bigger picture. Life's full of compromises and this product is no different... Apple has shown that computer manufacturing can be as much art as science, so we can't soley rely on the number when evaluating their work.

James Fee
09-10-2004, 06:28 PM
Thats all fine, but no quality video card and now firewire 800 mean this isn't even an entry Macintosh. How can Apple release a new computer without firewire 800?

Frankly I'm stuck. I want a new mac to replace my old G3 (that is actually not working anymore), but there isn't model that fits what I want. The G5 is too large and the iMac is too weak.

Oh and the 17" powerbook is too expensive.

I need something in the middle and something I can plug a firewire 800 drive into.

Gary Sheynkman
09-10-2004, 11:02 PM
Thats all fine, but no quality video card and now firewire 800 mean this isn't even an entry Macintosh. How can Apple release a new computer without firewire 800?

Frankly I'm stuck. I want a new mac to replace my old G3 (that is actually not working anymore), but there isn't model that fits what I want. The G5 is too large and the iMac is too weak.

Oh and the 17" powerbook is too expensive.

I need something in the middle and something I can plug a firewire 800 drive into.

I agree 100% with every word in this post

+

the previous design was better (although it had a bigger footprint it was way more convinient)

bryan.fury
09-14-2004, 04:07 PM
i think it's safe to assume that the only places you would want to pump hi-fi music thru your computer are your home/dorm or possibly some kind of private office.
it is also safe to assume that these places already have a stereo system installed.

so the question is, would you rather have a whole second set of speakers connected to your computer or a bunch of wires running all over the room to your stereo?
or would you rather get yourself an airport express and wirelesly stream your music to your existing stereo?

i've tried both, and the latter option is vastly superior (and infinitely more elegant)! it also has the advantage that computer/OS sounds/alerts don't come blaring at you when you play your music at louder levels.

think outside the box ...

teckels
09-15-2004, 09:10 PM
I think all of you guys are Apple-hating nerds...
Sorry, just my biased opinion/assumption :)

While I think you all raise good arguments, I think you guys are missing the fundamental truth that no one computer will meet everyone's need's... there's all sorts of compromises that have to be made for a mass produced product... especially when the masses it's produced for is still a relatively small subset of the overall market. Costs have to be kept down...

The article started off making some very valid point about how Apple often cripples their consumer level products, lowing the specs and features to avoid cannibalizing their 'pro' products... sad fact, but true... but no evidence of that in this iMac... even the specs I wish they had increased (like max RAM, cache, video card & video RAM etc) may be more a result of the restrictions of the chasis... hard squeezing all of that into a small inclosure while keeping that G5 running cool.

It would have been nice for them to include bluetooth, 802.llb, solid external speakers etc.. but some of those are add-on's I'd prefer to get myself... customize. And some are extra's that other may rather do without (say low level consumers, educational institutions - preschools, etc..). No one configuration will make everyone happy, so they focused on the core and heart of what they were trying to and succeeded in designing a wonderful product, that can be upgraded to meet most people's individual needs.

Speaking of upgrading... I'm increadibly computer savvy myself, and yet I've almost never upgraded anything beyond a computers memory... an they allow you up upgrade more than that... but for the few people who like to hold on to their hardware for a decade or more, obviously an iMac will not be for them. Apple sells other computers too!

It's so much easier to nit pick something apart, than to see the bigger picture. Life's full of compromises and this product is no different... Apple has shown that computer manufacturing can be as much art as science, so we can't soley rely on the number when evaluating their work.

OK Mr. Jobs, but all I've got on my desk is an LCD monitor, Keyboard and mouse. The rest of my computer is out of the way and that is the way I like it. I've got 802.11g, a PDA and everything is wireless.
I can replace my PC like I did the last time I wanted a new one, or I can build myself a new one like I've several times in the past.
The problem I see with buying something like a G5 is very similar to what you run into when you buy a PDA. It's a sizeable investment and once you've made it, you're stuck with it. So you had better have made the right decision.
Personally I don't see myself or anyone I know investing that kind of money in an overhyped inferior product when I could build them a superior replacement for a fraction of the price.