View Full Version : Neil's Random Video Tip #2: Shoot an Extra 10 Seconds on Either End of Your Clip

Neil Enns
09-09-2004, 07:00 PM
Whenever you start recording something wait 10 seconds before getting into the action. Whenever whatever you’re taking video of is done wait another 10 seconds before you stop recording. Even for 1 second of action record 10 seconds on each side!<br /><br />Tape is cheap and the extra 10 seconds on either end give you a whole bunch more freedom when you’re editing. The 10 seconds makes it easier to split the recorded video once you’ve got it into the computer. It also gives you that little bit of extra time to get smooth fades between clips that don’t stomp on the core action. You also get some timing latitude to trim the clip to fit a piece of music exactly right without being forced to cut off the main subject or action of the shot.

bryhawks
09-09-2004, 11:35 PM
Neil, I love these! Please keep them up!

I've shot home videos (kids growing up + the occasional special event) for five years now, but I've never actually created a finished product from them (although I now own Muvee AutoProducer for that very reason - 300+ hrs of tape in a box...). On the infrequent times we watch some footage, there's often something that I wish I had done differently during the recording, but I've never compiled a list, or even experimented to know exactly _what_ to do differently.

I gotta take a course - but this is a great first step.

backpackerx
09-10-2004, 03:41 AM
Not to play devil's advocate but a vacation tape or similiar would require so much editing this way wouldn't it? I mean my last tape had 95 scenes if I remember so to have to cut and trim every one of those would get old real fast.

I usually find the shorter my clips are, the less work to edit and the more watchable the final product is.
That's just me though. I do appreciate the tips and don't want to sound negative.

Neil Enns
09-10-2004, 06:22 AM
Not to play devil's advocate but a vacation tape or similiar would require so much editing this way wouldn't it?

Totally fair point! It depends on what you want to use the tape for. If you're going to keep it around and stick it in the VCR/Camcorder for playback every so often to re-live the memories, you're quite right. If you're going to do any kind of editing on the PC though, the extra footage is super helpful. Automated programs like Muvee should be able to handle it (I haven't tried though... Jason?), and if you're going all manual you're in for a long editing process anyway :lol:

Neil

Neil Enns
09-10-2004, 06:25 AM
(although I now own Muvee AutoProducer for that very reason - 300+ hrs of tape in a box...)

300+ hours!?!?! 8O Dear god. We shot around four, and I figure I've spent upwards of 20 hours editing to generate 8 minutes of home movie. Yes, that's right, 8 hours!

(To be fair, some sequences took a REALLY long time, and most of the rest won't be nearly so fancy.)

Neil

ctmagnus
09-10-2004, 07:43 AM
We shot around four, and I figure I've spent upwards of 20 hours editing to generate 8 minutes of home movie. Yes, that's right, 8 hours!

Minutes? ;)

Neil Enns
09-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Minutes? ;)

Uh, yes. Minutes. Oops :)

Neil