View Full Version : Ofoto Re-Ordered My Photos - AUGH!

Jason Dunn
08-29-2004, 07:40 AM
Look at this - two Ofoto posts back to back. One nice one, one ugly one. Did I mention that my wife is out of town for the weekend, so Bachelor Boy (me) has reverted to a previous evolutionary stage, spending 16 hours in front of the computer and still going strong. Or maybe I'm feeling just a bit sleepy now...zzzz...

Ah, but the real for my post: I have 220 old photos, scanned in and re-touched, and I want to make a photo book out of them for my grandmother. They're grouped into three main sections, each beginning in 001, 002, and 003 - they organized loosely within those groups. After uploading the 350+ MB of images to Ofoto (which took 1.5 hours over 802.11g), I was greeted with something very ugly: Ofoto's system didn't order the photos properly. I have 220 photos that are in a seemingly random order. 8O AUGH! :evil: I emailed their tech support people and told them that I wasn't going to drag and drop 220 photos by hand, and they politely replied that the solution to my problem was to drag and drop 220 photos by hand. Gosh I love tech support that reads what people write. :roll:

Does anyone know of a photo book printing service (hard cover, coffee table-style book) that doesn't re-order the photos when you upload them?

Gary Sheynkman
08-29-2004, 07:57 AM
dont you love the irony...in the previous post you tell people to take advantage of the great offer at ofoto

Jason Dunn
08-29-2004, 08:09 AM
dont you love the irony...in the previous post you tell people to take advantage of the great offer at ofoto

Yeah, for digital photo prints. This is a photo book, which I pointed out that the coupon didn't work for. Ofoto is a good company, this one feature just sucks.

KC
08-29-2004, 04:14 PM
Have you checked out My Publisher? The books are very nice, top notch quality and they arrive very fast, two days in my case. I'm not sure about the file ordering but it's definetly worth checking out.

http://www.mypublisher.com/default.php

mrwickham
08-29-2004, 05:22 PM
My publisher is very very good. You download the software and arrange the pages yourself. Number of pictures per page, text etc. Once that is done you simply within the program upload it to them. Very simply system. Until the 31th there are $10 less, $20 for a leather bound book, $10 for their smaller paperback version. There is a limit for the number of photos for the standard 20 pages, however above that it is $1 a page.

I simply don't use Ofoto are bad photos and service. Mypublisher for books, PhotoAccess for prints.

Of course that's just my .02

Jason Dunn
08-29-2004, 09:32 PM
Thanks, I'll check out My Publisher! I hope they ship to Canada...

Crocuta
08-30-2004, 01:41 AM
Jason, if you decide to suck it up and do the drag n drop thing after all, you can use this coupon code for Ofoto.com to save 30% on your photo book.

PB30-DXMEMRFK (expires 9.22)

Ed Hansberry
08-30-2004, 02:08 AM
I've never tried their book product, but when I upload using their PC upload tool, Ofoto 3, my galleries are in the right order. Don't know if that is a possibility for you or not.

Suhit Gupta
08-30-2004, 02:29 AM
I agree with KC and MrWickham about MyPublisher. My nieghbor has tried it and I saw some very nice results.

Suhit

KC
08-30-2004, 05:07 AM
The My Publisher software is pretty basic and can be a little frustrating with limted formating options, fonts, etc. But the books are fantastic.

One more really cool tip. Although I no longer see it at the My Publisher website, they have a Powerpoint Add-in that puts a My Publisher button on the Powerpoint toolbar that lets you upload a presentation directly to their site to have a bound book made. Very cool and easy to use.

Here's the link to get the Add-in:
http://www.mypublisher.com/businessPrinting.html

I wonder why they're not showing the Add-in on the main site??

Timothy Huber
08-30-2004, 02:51 PM
Just another plug for My Publisher. Using their software you compile everything on your PC before upload. They offer both hardcover and softcover books too. I've ordered both and they are great. Also, they're currently running a special if you order a hardcover book by the 8/31.

Timothy

Jason Dunn
08-30-2004, 05:10 PM
Yes, I used MyPublisher and ordered my book - I'm going to make a plug for them on the home page and talk about my experience making the book. :-)

Fitch
08-30-2004, 07:37 PM
Jason-- Don't think it was mentioned, but shutterfly will order your pictures by take-on date on the EXIF data (EXIF, right?), or by filename.

http://www.shutterfly.com/photobooks

And if you are interested, for next time, it would help me a lot to get some referral free prints. (Honestly, I'm not recommending them because of this, but it would always help :) ) So if you do want to sign up, please first PM or e-mail me the address you'll be signing up with and I'll send you an 'invitation'.