View Full Version : Analyst Says HP's iPod Version will Probably Outsell Apple's Version

James Fee
08-27-2004, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=6084565' target='_blank'>http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=6084565</a><br /><br /></div>"<i>The expectation on the iPod is that HP's version will probably outsell Apple's version relatively quickly," Enderle said, due to HP's broad distribution at electronics retailers. </i>"<br /><br />Excuse me while I laugh, it's not like the iPod is hard to find (its only hard to find in stock). :roll: I'm sure there will be sales, but I have yet to see anyone who says they would get an hPod over an iPod.

Chris Gohlke
08-27-2004, 11:12 PM
I think this is brilliant strategy by Apple. While I am not a big fan of the ipod (iriver rules :rock on dude!: ), I can't see anyone that would buy an ipod choosing the hp version over the apple version. Now, on to why this is brilliant for apple. If I am right, hp spends a bunch of money advertising ipods that people will go and buy directly from apple. If I am wrong and they buy from hp, apple still wins because they are still an apple ipod that they are buying. The only plus for hp is that some apple users might buy their tattoo thingys to put on their ipod.

Jason Dunn
08-27-2004, 11:48 PM
This is just a lame, over-hyped marketing stunt. &lt;sigh> :roll:

arebelspy
08-27-2004, 11:54 PM
I don't understand you people. I for one wouldn't buy one from either place.. but your argument of "they're the SAME, so why not buy one from Apple" holds no water at all because hell, they're the SAME so why not buy one from HP? Once they're out in retail stores, I can see tons of people buying them from HP.. maybe you guys won't cause they seem silly, but I can see lots of others buying them (heck if you have a choice and it doesn't matter then why would you pick the older one thats the exact same rather than the newer one?)

See what I mean? Your argument of "they're the same, so everyone will get the older one" doesn't make any sense to me..

-arebelspy

Jason Dunn
08-28-2004, 12:28 AM
See what I mean? Your argument of "they're the same, so everyone will get the older one" doesn't make any sense to me.

It's simple: if they're the same, for the same price, why not buy it from Apple, the company that makes it? Ultimately it doesn't matter much either way, HP will likely sell some of them from computer bundling, but the point is there there's no advantage to the HP unit.

Chris Gohlke
08-28-2004, 02:37 AM
See what I mean? Your argument of "they're the same, so everyone will get the older one" doesn't make any sense to me..

-arebelspy

Lots of people buy it just because apple is cool to them. HP would be the opposite of that. The only difference is the name on them and for most buyers, the Apple name would be prefereable to the HP name. Older/newer does not apply.

Jorgen
08-29-2004, 06:31 AM
HP is wellknown for their great service - Apple isn't.

Jorgen

Christian
08-29-2004, 09:42 PM

Jorgen

That must be a different HP from the one I've interacted with. 8O

Suhit Gupta
08-30-2004, 02:44 AM

Jorgen
That must be a different HP from the one I've interacted with. 8O
I actually had some decent experience with HP customer service, especially their printer division. However, and I haven't commented much on this here on DMT, but I agree with James and almost everyone else that has commented on the ridiculousness of the HP iPod. I just don't see the advantage of buying one. It all seems like such an odd setup.

Suhit