View Full Version : Hollywood Still Doesn't Trust Microsoft?

Kent Pribbernow
08-17-2004, 06:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/08/16/microsoft.hollywood.ap/index.html' target='_blank'>http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/08/16/microsoft.hollywood.ap/index.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"The majority of entertainment companies, unsure of Microsoft's motives and wary of its cutthroat tactics in the battle for the computer desktop, have preferred to maintain an arm's-length relationship with the software Goliath. But these days, studios fear digital piracy more than they fear Microsoft and have slowly begun to make deals to use its software tools, albeit on a non-exclusive basis."</i><br /><br />Trust me, the world will be a much better place once Microsoft takes over. I say...embrace our new overlords. :wink: <br /><br />Seriously, I can understand the concerns over Microsoft's motives, but currently they are the best solution for digital media copyright protection. Or at least the only company actively seeking to offer the entertainment industry with a full end to end solution of tools to help protect content.

Felix Torres
08-17-2004, 06:09 PM
Try this: MS is headquartered in Seattle.
Hollywood is in California.
(Pretty much) All of MS's enemies operate out of California.

MS is by definition the enemy.
Nothing they ever do will be acceptable.
Now, if they operated out of San Jose... :wink:

Kati Compton
08-18-2004, 07:31 PM
Sigh. I find MS's DRM really really inconvenient. That may be "good" for Hollywood, but I think that having it so restrictive is bad for the consumer. It's not like it makes things *cheaper* by preventing piracy. Things stay the same price. Or get more expensive because they have to pay for DRM. ;)

Felix Torres
08-18-2004, 11:32 PM
Sigh. I find MS's DRM really really inconvenient. That may be "good" for Hollywood, but I think that having it so restrictive is bad for the consumer. It's not like it makes things *cheaper* by preventing piracy. Things stay the same price. Or get more expensive because they have to pay for DRM. ;)

Out of curiosity, how does MS DRM get in your way?
What has it stopped you from doing?
Just wondering, since most of my experimenting has been with non-drm MS files and the few times I've dealt with drm files I had no problem moving them around...