View Full Version : Dead Corpse of 321 Studios to Fund Anti-Piracy Campaigns

Jason Dunn
08-12-2004, 03:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,117314,tk,dn081104X,00.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,117314,tk,dn081104X,00.asp</a><br /><br /></div><i>"One of 321 Studios's last corporate acts will be paying off the companies that drove it to extinction. The St. Louis developer of commercial software for copying DVDs and other digital content posted a closing notice on its Web site last week, saying court injunctions barring U.S. sales of its software leaves it with no choice but to discontinue operations. On Tuesday, the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) announced a settlement deal with the now-defunct company. 321 Studios will make a "substantial" financial payment to the motion picture studios it had been battling in court, according to the MPAA. Those funds will be donated to the motion picture industry's antipiracy campaign."</i><br /><br />Ah, the irony - 321 Studios, who fought so hard for the right for people to use their software to copy their DVDs (owned or, cough, rented) has been gutted and their remains are being used to fund anti-piracy commercials. I'm personally against movie piracy - I only buy or rent DVDs, but I also watch movies in the theatre quite frequently. I've seen about four movies in the past month, and when I've paid my $12 CND to see a movie, the last thing I want to see is s preachy ad with a movie stunt guy telling me that I shouldn't pirate movies. Um, HELLO? <b>I'm IN THE THEATRE, PAYING FOR THE MOVIE!</b> <i>I'm not your target audience</i>. Whoever is coordinating this campaign needs to be smacked around - what the movie companies should be doing instead is flooding the P2P networks with 700 MB dummy files and making it more trouble than it's worth to download movies (although I personally feel it's already at that point now).

BugDude10
08-12-2004, 04:24 AM
Man, I'm missing something here.

321 Studios valiantly pledged to fight the a$$holes at the MPAA, then, presumably because its pockets just weren't deep enough, it had no economic choice but to close up shop. Very unfortunate, but understandable. (Hell, I bought DVD X Copy in part to help 321 fight the MPAA!) That should have been the end of it: no more 321 Studios, no more lawsuit.

But then to pay a settlement to the MPAA?!? Close the doors, cut the final paychecks, distribute a nice little dividend to whatever shareholders there were, and tell the MPAA (and the judge protecting it) to go screw themselves.

I'm definitely missing something.

dean_shan
08-12-2004, 06:53 AM
The last thing I want to see is s preachy ad with a movie stunt guy telling me that I shouldn't pirate movies. Um, HELLO? I'm IN THE THEATRE, PAYING FOR THE MOVIE! I'm not your target audience

I hate that. Makes me want to download the latest and hottest movie just to spite them.

Gary Sheynkman
08-12-2004, 05:54 PM
The last thing I want to see is s preachy ad with a movie stunt guy telling me that I shouldn't pirate movies. Um, HELLO? I'm IN THE THEATRE, PAYING FOR THE MOVIE! I'm not your target audience

I hate that. Makes me want to download the latest and hottest movie just to spite them.

edited myself for content :wink:

dave_p_1
08-18-2004, 06:19 PM
It's bad enough when they waste my time in the theater. What gets me is one of the latest movies I bought would not bring up the DVD menu until it had played through several trailers for other movies. 321 where are you when we need you?