View Full Version : Satellite Radio Enters Mainstream

James Fee
08-11-2004, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/07/30/satellite.radio/index.html' target='_blank'>http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/07/30/satellite.radio/index.html</a><br /><br /></div>"<i>Satellite channels beam their signals to a satellite orbiting more than 22,000 miles above the earth, which then transmits them to radio receivers in cars and homes. Subscribers buy receivers, priced as low as $50, to receive the service. The technology allows listeners to hear the same station anywhere in the continental United States. The Federal Communications Commission initially opened up bandwidth on its satellites for commercial broadcast in 1997. Four companies paid $80 million each to access the spectrum.</i>"<br /><br />Satellite Radio is becoming standard on most new luxury brands and most others as an option. I've notice that Hertz is renting cars with Sirius radio aftermarket radios in them (and am very happy when I get one). Now when will we get "TiVo like' features such as record and repeat with Satellite Radio?<br /><br />Anyone here have XM or Sirius?

Richard OKane
08-11-2004, 12:28 AM
I've had XM for over a year and love it.
It goes with me in my car and to work.
It's on all the time at home and is left on to soothing music overnight.
Some channels are automated while others have DJ
The music is very diverse (as the article states).
So, in the end, you can always find something to listen to.
Being in Canada, there are no reception problems at all as long as you can see the SW sky (from where I am).
Well worth the US$10.... I know people who have dropped cable because they feel they get enough between this and the net.

sundown
08-11-2004, 01:18 AM
I'm a new subscriber (2 months) but got a taste of it from my inlaws when we borrowed their vehicle. We're hooked! We take it on vacations and listen often at home. We don't use it much for short trips in the car because the units we have are portable and are easily stolen. I think it's worth the $17 a month we pay (for 2 XM Radio memberships). I just heard today that XM is starting a Public Radio channel on 9/1 with a bunch of stuff I love to listen to on NPR stations. Now I can listen anytime. They even snagged Bob Edwards from NPR.

The only thing I wish was different - I wish we had stereos in each of our cars that had native XM support - without need for an extra device and wires all over the place. I know I can have it now but I'm not paying $1,000 for that convenience.

Now a PVR-like feature would be nice. I'd only use it for news and talk programs though, so it's not high on my list for satellite radio.

jake080
08-11-2004, 03:04 AM
ive got sirius via Dish, and my dad, a car salesman, has sirius in his 1500 Ram ... with a hemi ;) sirius + hemi = too much fun!

mrkablooey
08-11-2004, 11:17 AM
I've had XM for 2 years and enjoy it. Sirius did a good thing getting NFL games though!

FWIW, XM and Starbucks are partnering up (http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/08-03-2004/0002223987&EDATE=) as well! :morning:

David Horn
08-11-2004, 11:20 AM
Apparently, Alpine radios will link natively to an XM box in the boot or glovebox. I've never tried it, living in the UK, as we have a decent set of national FM stations, and DAB radio gives you even more, though reception is a bit patchy in some areas. Presumably, sat. radio stops working under bridges / tunnels / tall buildings?

mrkablooey
08-11-2004, 12:10 PM
Presumably, sat. radio stops working under bridges / tunnels / tall buildings?

Reception depends on a few different factors, but for the most part, only tunnels have caused any problems here in the Washington DC/Baltimore area of the U.S.

Phoenix
08-11-2004, 04:48 PM
I'm really glad Satellite radio was brought up. I've been wondering which had better programming. I know they differ slightly, but doesn't Sirius have fewer commercials?

I've also heard that Sirius has three satellites, whereas XM has two. But my understanding is that the reception is basically the same - Sirius, with its extra satellite might just be slightly better than XM in trouble areas. Or not. I'm not quite sure about that.

The biggest thing for me, as I mentioned already, is wondering who has better programming and fewer commercials.

Does anyone have input on this, or experience with both?

Doug Johnson
08-11-2004, 04:53 PM
I've got XM in my car, and Sirius via Dish Network.

I don't use either that incredibly often, but they both seem to be good services. From what I have read, though, the sound quality on XM is noticibly superior, although a choice should probably be made based on content, pricing, and which type of receiver your stereo is cable of controlling.

XM is more diverse and seems more designed to supplement terrestrial FM radio stations, Sirius seems slightly geared more for people who want to replace their FM stations.

Doug Johnson
08-11-2004, 04:54 PM
I'm really glad Satellite radio was brought up. I've been wondering which had better programming. I know they differ slightly, but doesn't Sirius have fewer commercials?
This was once true, but XM has eliminated commercials now.

ironguy
08-11-2004, 10:23 PM
I currently have the limited Sirius through Dish. We use it a lot for outdoor parties. I have a set of speakers outside under the eaves. We put on a channel and forget it. Or we'll program a few channels via the Dish receiver to change channels.

I know that Dish offers availabilty in the car. Does anyone know if there is an extra monthly charge for getting Sirius in your car? Also, is it the limited or full version?

ironguy
08-11-2004, 10:29 PM
I work in the satellite business. One possible cost factor for the future is that the Boeing 702 satellites which comprise the XM constellation have solar panel issues. Boeing claims that there is no issue, but worst case could reduce usable satellite life from about 15 years to less than 10.

However, since I've been around sats for over 25 years, I seen some pretty amazing workarounds to supposed failures. It wouldn't surprise me at all if XM got the most out of their sats.