View Full Version : PS3 To Use Blu-Ray Technology

Suhit Gupta
08-16-2004, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/04/news_6104095.html' target='_blank'>http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/04/news_6104095.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"According to Kyodo News, Sony officials announced today that they will use Blu-ray Disc technology in their next-generation console, most commonly referred to as the PlayStation 3. Sony revealed its decision at a press conference held by the Blu-ray Disc Founders (BDF), an organization committed to developing and standardizing the next-generation optical disc format. The BDF also used the occasion to announce that it will finalize the specifications for the read-only version of Blu-ray Discs (BD-ROMs) by September 30."</i><br /><br />As you may already know from our many previous posts, Blu-ray technology supports 25GB on single layer and 50GB on the dual-layer discs, while HD DVD discs would hold only 30GB on a dual-layered disc. Sony will be revealing more details on the PlayStation 3 at a premiere event in Japan on March 31, 2005. It is cool to hear that Blu-ray technology will actually be used in a real world product, but I wonder what they will need at ultra capacity for. High quality games (even Doom 3) don't require as much space as that. I guess they are thinking of the PVR market? :?

dean_shan
08-16-2004, 08:23 PM
Blue-Ray seems over kill on a game system but I think that they are doing so that there will be a large market of blueray capable players once they start releasing movies on it.

Suhit Gupta
08-16-2004, 08:40 PM
Yeah, but soon we are going to have compatibility issues with blu-ray vs. traditional (red laser) technologies. It is going to be nightmarish, I can see it already. Why not have a system that either has both drives or a drive that can support both techs (yeah, I know it doesn't exist yet).

Suhit

dean_shan
08-16-2004, 08:51 PM
So does that mean that the PS3 does not have backward compatibility?

Suhit Gupta
08-16-2004, 09:20 PM
So does that mean that the PS3 does not have backward compatibility?
Hmm, I am guessing not because it currently does not use blu-ray tech. It is very possible that the games would not be backward/forward compatible. Sony must have some plan in mind. But knowing how they screwed over their customers when it came to the whole memory stick fiasco, I would not be surprised if they did the same here.

Suhit

Mojo Jojo
08-17-2004, 04:22 PM
At some point in time the hardware changes enough that support for backward compatiability becomes unbalanced to costs. The PS2 usues a lot of CPU power to emulate the hardwired chips from the original PS.

I think the next generation of consoles will raise the bar once more and be system 'restarts' if you will. In this case changing the media type AND a different multiprocessor architects make backwards compatiability unfeesable.

In truth however the PS2 is the only console in comes to mind that has been backwards compatible with a previous generation console.

I think that given a hardware vaccum (in surplus) there becomes a software filler that will use it.

dean_shan
08-17-2004, 05:25 PM
The PS2 was the first console to do that. And they made sure everyone knew about it. That was one of their big selling points, 'Use all your existing games!'.

MyquiH
08-18-2004, 09:57 PM
One potential use for the BluRay capaticites would be to produce BluRay DVDs with a compilation of old PS2 games on them, in effect allowing Sony and their publishers to resell old PS2 games to PS3 owners.

Just a thought...
Mike