View Full Version : 321 Studios Goes Under

Kent Pribbernow
08-04-2004, 08:20 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=562&e=3&u=/ap/copying_dvds' target='_blank'>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=562&e=3&u=/ap/copying_dvds</a><br /><br /></div><i>"A maker of software that enabled users to copy DVDs and computer games folded Tuesday under the mounting weight of lawsuits by deep-pocketed movie studios and video game producers. In a posting on its Web site, 321 Studios Inc. quietly announced "it has ceased business operations including, but not limited to, the sale, support and promotion of our products."</i><br /><br />This is a classic case of death by litigation. 321 simply went belly up from the countless lawsuits filed against them. And rightfully so. No matter what practical use the DVD and Game X copying software has in allowing consumers to backup their DVD and game collections, it is a tool which can also be used for piracy and bootlegging. <br /><br />Certainly 321 must have know they were treading in dangerous waters when they developed this product. Can't say I'm surprised by the outcome.

Jason Dunn
08-04-2004, 08:27 PM
Unfortunate to see a company go out of business, but it's not terribly surprising.

sub_tex
08-04-2004, 11:47 PM
321 simply went belly up from the countless lawsuits filed against them. And rightfully so. No matter what practical use the DVD and Game X copying software has in allowing consumers to backup their DVD and game collections, it is a tool which can also be used for piracy and bootlegging.

I'm really shocked that you can stand by that sort of thinking. There are plenty of tools that can be used for piracy and bootlegging (pretty much any recording device) yet those are sold no problem.

You're all for this Induce Act nonsense that makes a criminal act out of fair use?

BugDude10
08-05-2004, 12:56 AM
"And rightfully so"?!? That's ridiculous. I bought DVD X Copy before it was emasculated, because I have a 5 year old who sometimes isn't as careful with my DVDs as I'd like her to be. I have the absolute right to back up the DVDs I purchase for my own use, and the fact that some people would use the software for illegal purposes doesn't make the application illegitimate. That line of reasoning leads to the conclusion that cars should be outlawed because some people speed.

C'mon, Foo, you're smarter than that.

dean_shan
08-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Had a feeling this was going to happen. It's a shame.

blazingwolf
08-05-2004, 02:44 PM
This is a classic case of death by litigation. 321 simply went belly up from the countless lawsuits filed against them. And rightfully so. No matter what practical use the DVD and Game X copying software has in allowing consumers to backup their DVD and game collections, it is a tool which can also be used for piracy and bootlegging.

I couldn't agree with you less. If you think this then you need to stop using your VCR and Tivo. What about DVD recorders? Should they stop making those because they can be used by bootleggers?