View Full Version : iTunes Coming To Linux?

Kent Pribbernow
08-03-2004, 04:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/Start-up+to+make+iTunes+sing+on+Linux/2100-1041_3-5293915.html?tag=nefd.top' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/Start-up+to+make+iTunes+sing+on+Linux/2100-1041_3-5293915.html?tag=nefd.top</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Although iTunes and Linux have been pursuing solo careers, one small software maker hopes to get them to make music together. CodeWeavers, which specializes in software that lets Windows programs run on Linux, said on Monday that it has a new version of its software that adds support for Apple Computer's iTunes."</i><br /><br />As interesting as this sounds, I don't see the demand for iTunes on Linux, in any form. The average Linux fan is a l33t hardcore geek who would never be caught dead with a cutesy iPod anyway. They care about command lines and config files, not pretty GUI graphics. So what would make Codeweavers think there is a huge market for Apple's jukebox softare for Windows; especially since desktop Linux itself <i>is</i> a tiny market?

Zack Mahdavi
08-03-2004, 07:27 AM
I am a major fan of both iTunes and Linux. I run Linux regularly and miss not having my iTunes music running on my Linux machine. I also know several people who are stuck in the same boat.

Another thing to realize is that none of the online music stores currently work with Linux. If iTunes were to be ported over to Linux, then all of the Linux geeks in the world could enjoy paying $.99 for their songs (just like the rest of the world). :)

The Yaz
08-03-2004, 02:03 PM
Let's not forget "Different strokes for different folks"...

One of my friends has a Sharp PDA. It's OS is Linux, and he would like the option of downloading directly from a music website like itunes instead of being limited to MP3 and OGG.

Steve 8)

Felix Torres
08-03-2004, 04:09 PM
Let's not forget "Different strokes for different folks"...

One of my friends has a Sharp PDA. It's OS is Linux, and he would like the option of downloading directly from a music website like itunes instead of being limited to MP3 and OGG.

Steve 8)

Uh, isn't the Sharp based on StrongArm?
I don't think anything hosted by codeweavers can run on non-x86 cpus...
Your friend might have better luck with (shudder) Real Player.
They might have a client for non-x86 Linux. :?

sub_tex
08-03-2004, 04:25 PM
The average Linux fan is a l33t hardcore geek who would never be caught dead with a cutesy iPod anyway. They care about command lines and config files, not pretty GUI graphics.

I think the disdain for locked off DRM audio files would rank higher than "not pretty GUI graphics" on the list of things that nix users won't like about iTunes/music store.

Zack Mahdavi
08-03-2004, 05:38 PM
I think the disdain for locked off DRM audio files would rank higher than "not pretty GUI graphics" on the list of things that nix users won't like about iTunes/music store.

I disagree.. *NIX users would be the first ones to whip out hymn to extract out the DRM from the file after they download it. I'm a Linux user, and that's the first thing I do after all. Now when will my Pocket PC get AAC support? :?