View Full Version : 4G iPod Owners Report Quality Issues

Kent Pribbernow
07-31-2004, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://thinksecret.com/news/ipodblemishes.html' target='_blank'>http://thinksecret.com/news/ipodblemishes.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"New fourth-generation iPods are making their way into customers' hands, but some users are complaining about smears, scratches and blemishes on the music player's case. Some customers are discussing the problem at Apple's support discussion forums. Users are providing a wide range of descriptions of their iPods' blemishes, including a light brown stain, worn plastic, scratches, brushed marks, and visible smears."</i><br /><br />Oh my. Glad I didn't choose to be an early adopter this time around. Apple could have avoided these problems simply by opting for more durable casing material, like...oh, I don't know - anodized aluminum perhaps? Isn't a bit insane that the <b>cheaper </b>iPod Mini has a better case than the<b> more expensive</b> iPod models? :roll:

Mojo Jojo
07-31-2004, 01:09 AM
I have to say, after months of use the iPod mini outside is holding up great. I would definitely agree that it should be considered for the other models. No finger prints, great crush protection, and a rock solid feel.

kagayaki1
07-31-2004, 01:45 AM
Well, unfortunately, I can concur with the scratches and stuff. I've had my 4G ipod for three days now, and it seems to get a ton of scratches. I wonder why Apple did not include a case. :roll:

In all honesty, though, the scratches seem to be isolated to the white part, which I can't really see anyways (the screen is ok). And since the sticky residue problem was addressed, the small dirt stains that were on my wheel no longer show up. All in all, I'm really happy with it. The click wheel alone is reason enough to switch.

mjhamson
07-31-2004, 01:46 AM
I have kept my 4G iPod in a nice leather case since the day I bought it. Of course it must come out when in the dock. However I have not given any stray chance the ability to do anything to the iPods shell.

On the other hand, my biggest wish was for a stronger mini-iPod look and feel (err.. shell).

Aside from anything noted, I am more then happy to have adopted this device. i am so happy with it that I have now opted out of getting my new iPaq (talk about super-ultra-cheap shells).

-Michael

Kent Pribbernow
07-31-2004, 04:01 AM
The click wheel alone is reason enough to switch.

I must confess that is the only feature luring me to the 4G iPod. Beyond that (and the improved battery life) there really isn't much to drag me away from my old 3G unit. And surprisingly my iPod's battery is still ticking away after 16 months.

Tim Williamson
07-31-2004, 07:17 AM
I took my 3G 15 GB iPod back a week ago because the battery life was crap, it was getting tons of scratches on the front AND back, and smudged up really easily.